This year has been a funny one. While I continued more or less on my normal Claire even keel, and there have been some lovely moments (trips away to Edinburgh and Mogan and Amsterdam, lots of girldates, fun etc.), in all honesty I've often felt a little low, worn out, and sad. I now know that a lot of this was down to illness and migraines, but I hope in 2012 I can look after myself a little better and have a happier year. I am so grateful to be ending the year feeling stronger and happier and hope this positivity will spread out and permeate the whole of 2012. I want to get back to being that smiley girl in the 2010 post! So 2011 will have to be the real year...hopefully the review of 2012 will be fabulous! Lots to celebrate this year, but plenty to learn from and grow from too.
I also feel I should also say that as ever I am aware that I am a very lucky girl, and please believe me when I say I am so grateful for my life, my job, my health, my friends, my family, my boyfriend, my home....especially in such tumultuous times. It's just that this year has been an odd one and I don't feel like glossing over the fact that I've found it harder than usual. I hope this all makes sense and I don't come over like an ungracious wretch.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I walked a marathon, and raised/helped to raise a lot of money for charities. Both of these were amazing positives in the year.
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Meh....I did okay with them, but next year I am going to kick my NYA's* butts!
*NYA = New years' ambitions. More on these very soon :)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep. Woo, babies!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank heavens.
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland, Holland, and Spain (the Canary Islands).
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Better self-esteem, more confidence, and bags of my usual Thornley positivity and energy!
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Cannot recall a day that sticks out. There have been some lovely weddings and some great girldates though!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably completing the Moonwalk.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hard to call.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Migraines, tummy bugs, chest infections, but nothing more serious, thank heavens. Still left me feeling a bit wrecked however, and I'm so grateful that I seem to have turned a corner in the last week and a bit!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably the book The Hunger Games. Such a brilliant read.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My lovely boys on our away days. They were so good!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My own, at times.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent! Ah, London.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Christmas, as ever!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Hip to the core, that's me.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Still happy, but could be happier (but ready to work on this), exactly the same size (albeit having lost over a stone and put it back on), a little richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising, reading, spending time with friends.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying being ill, watching bad TV.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly at home with the lovely Matthew.
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2011?
Matthew and I celebrated 3 years together in September.
No 22 or 23...hmmm!
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Pan Am, How I Met Your Mother, Downton Abbey.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don’t believe in hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
Both The Hunger Games and A Game of Thrones were delicious, and Learn Me Good and its sequel Learn Me Gooder made me laugh and laugh!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I haven't listened to enough new music to call this one! Must fix this in 2012.
28. What did you want and get?
I'm a lucky girl. I have many things....
29. What did you want and not get?
...but there are a few things I'd like.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Bridesmaids was magnificent. I went to see it twice at the movies!
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and spent the day volunteering before heading home for fish and chips and falling into bed by ten. As I said, I've been pretty run down!
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Feeling more like me, and less disconnected.
Is 'whatever' a concept? I've continued in my normal comfy and pretty clothing vibe - lots of M&S. Debenhams and Boden.
34. What kept you sane?
The people I love. And this blog, in all honesty (thank you as ever for reading, commenting etc.).
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
George Clooney, David Tennant, and Dave Grohl.
(no change again!)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
How on earth we fix things...
37. I have only just noticed that there is no 37....hmmmm....
38. Who was the best new person you met?
My lovely new class of badgers. They are awesomesauce!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Oh, and know that sometimes friends grow apart....but the keepers are worth the effort of keeping up with, no matter the distance or the changes in lifestyle! I really am so blessed to have my best girlies.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are
She said, 'cause He made you perfect, babe
So hold your head up, girl and you you'll go far
Listen to me when I say
I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way, born this way"
Gaga for the win.