While looking through old blog posts (what can I tell ya, there's something about a late night, a cup of tea, and a walk down memory lane...) I found an old '100 things about me' piece. So I thought I'd update it for today's me, changing a few things, keeping some others. It was quite interesting to see how much has changed, and how much has stayed the same! Et voila:
1. My middle name is Rachael. If I’d taken another one at confirmation, it would have been Elizabeth.
2. I hate caviar. Yuck!
3. I want to live in America at least once in my lifetime.
4. I can quote much of the movie Bring It On.
5. And have fallen asleep on three different occasions attempting to watch the whole on Battleship Potemkin.
6. I wish I didn’t swear as much as I do.
7. I won awards at high school for drama, French, music, religious ed., modern studies and most deserving (whatever that means). Yay, non-core subjects!
8. I love making lists. And planning stuff (even imaginary stuff).
9. I have previously auditioned for The X-Factor, How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? and I'd Do Anything. I was *thisclose* to the London levels for the latter.
10. I once got thirty one demerits in a week, while at boarding school.
11. I once shaved my arms. Yes, my actual arms.
12. I was supposed to be called ‘Ben James’. My mum was adamant I was going to be a boy.
13. I once swore at a teacher – unintentionally. And managed not to get into trouble.
14. I only have one, proper, honest to goodness ex-boyfriend.
15. This is the same boy my father described, simply, as “spotty”.
16. I’ve had the same signature since I was 6.
17. I didn’t get on well with money when I was younger. Now I love a good budget spreadsheet.
18. In one of my dorms, I felt the presence of a ghost. Temperature dropping, radio switching, water stopping, the whole shebang. Scared the badgers out of me.
19. My favourite children’s names include: Katherine, James, Jack, Lucas, Eleanor, Mackenzie, Felicity, Moray, Hope, Iain, Willow and David. I spent a lot of time when I was younger reading baby names books though, so these could change.
20. I am 5’5” tall….but I spent five years stuck at 5’4 and three-quarters”.
21. I love making mix CDs, and receiving them. It's been a while!
22. I hate long fingernails. Particularly if they're dirty!
23. I have lain on the floor to listen to the person below playing ‘Under The Bridge’.
24. I cannot talk about gross stuff and eat at the same time.
25. I have lived in over 24 different houses or flats…so far.
26. I used to have a bad relationship with food. I have comfort eaten for twelve or thirteen years, I’ve been bulimic and I’ve gone through periods of starving myself or crash dieting. I stopped this a few years ago, and most of the time I have a good handle on it.
27. I love reading, and have done for the past 28 and a half years. I’ve (pretty much, bar a two year blip) always been a voracious reader, a habit which once resulted in me being picked up by the hair by an evil teacher.
28. I’m a ridiculously stereotypical Monkey. I don't believe in horoscopes especially, but I definitely fit the bill.
29. I used to hate public speaking, so now I make myself do more of it. I'm hoping that practice makes perfect.
30. I love my job.
31. If I wasn't a teacher, I'd like to be a writer, a singer, a cinema manager or a mum.
32. I fractured my wrist the first time I ever tried rollerskating.
33. In my younger years I was very very VERY good at falling in love with people who didn't love me back.
34. I can be hard on myself.....but....
35. I don’t think I’m hard enough on myself.
36. Another one of my ideal jobs would be graveyard shift DJ – just playing music and autowittering…how much fun would that be?
37. I am good at keeping secrets (proper ones).
38. I have never been to a proper music festival.
39. I have weird feet. My right one is super wide from a fall when I was twelve, when I fell 15/20 feet and fractured it in 4 places.
40. I am terrible at jokes – I can never remember them.
41. I have now made this into a trademark of my classroom, and a whole generation of boys are enjoying my 'dad level jokes'.
42. I think Monica Bellucci, Kate Winslet and Angelina Jolie are the most gorgeous women on the planet.
43. I once wrote fanmail to Isaac Hanson.
44. I like to give my all.
45. I’ve never seen Return of the King. Or Matrix Revolutions.
46. I love to dance.
47. I'm also a pretty rubbish dancer.
48. I don't hate anyone.
49. I wasted far too much time in my teens berating myself for being too fat or too ugly.
50. I still do this sometimes!
51. I believe that people have a right to be happy.
52. I like eating random combinations of food.
53. Napping is the best, as is bedding down with a good book.
54. I adore my friends – they are simply brilliant!
55. When it comes to drinking, I am a lightweight.
56. I like hot baths. Reeeeaaaallly hot.
57. I can spend eight hours online or reading or watching movies with no problem whatsoever, stopping only for comfort breaks or snacks. This used to worry me.
58. I rarely get a chance to do this.
59. I have a mind like a sponge when it comes to trivia.
60. I cannot burp.
61. In my high school yearbook I was voted Weirdest Girl, Most Likely To Win Eurovision, Most Likely to be a Politician, Most Likely to have a Number 1 and Least Likely To Calm Down. I came second in the Brainiest, Most Likely To Win An Oscar and Most Likely to Become Insanely Rich categories. Whatever I did, surely I was destined to underacheive?
62. I just found my high school year book to find that out for you!
63. I think I am a romantic at heart, but not a hopeless one.
64. My favourite beach is Primrose Bay, Scotland; but I really like Findhorn too.
65. I used to dream about winning the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, and attending the ceremony with my date, Leonardo DiCaprio. I had this as a recurring dream for two years off and on.
66. I LOVE good crème brulee.
67. I once got the worst carpet burn of my life doing yoga.
68. I’ve always said I would like between 3 and 9 children.
69. Now I'm in my thirties, I think I'd just like 'some' children.
70. I like cheese more than chocolate.
71. My teddy bear is one day older than me. He is called Jockey.
71. Kindness and consideration drive me.
72. When I was a toddler, I was once so hungry I grabbed a raw cauliflower in the greengrocers and started eating it. Old people in my hometown still remember this.
73. I wrote my Senior Dissertation on Moulin Rouge specifically, and the genre of musical film in general.
74. I love having conversations that incorporate as many lyrics or film titles as possible.
75. I am vaguely OCD – I'm a checker, I can find patterns mesmerising and I have/had a bit of a number fixation. This used to be much worse, with mantras and a equal touch thing running concurrently.
76. I have moshed with Joe Mangel (Mark Little)!
77. Singing is one of my favourite things in the world. I could sing forever. I feel totally confident and at peace when I sing.
78. I love pub quizzes. And kareoke.
79. I met my boyfriend at the Edinburgh festival.
80. The first time I ever met him, I was speaking with a fake French accent.
81. The first time I met his family, I brought up donkey sausage (a foodstuff in the South of France) during our chat, much to the amusement of some family members.
82. I am a member of the Junior League of London.
83. I love baby showers.
84. I like collecting books and DVDs, but I'm not a hugely worldly person.
85. Connected to this, I'd rather spend my money on experiences, travel and people than on things.
86. I love cats, and hope to get two kittens later this year.
87. I've been a bridesmaid 4 times (twice as a child, twice as an adult), with time number 5 up next year! I love bridesmaiding.
88. I've been blogging here since 2005.
89. When I'm stressed I like to bake or take long walks.
90. My favourite outfit is my PJs.
91. I don't like letting people know I'm angry.
92. I love to write letters and thank you notes.
93. I am obsessed with badgers.
94. I think showing up & listening are two of the most important things you can do for your friends.
95. I am the eldest of three. I have a little sister, Sian, who's 26, and a little brother, Peter, who's 25.
96. I don't like needles, small dogs that yap, industrial techno music or marmite much.
97. I teach at an all boys school.
98. I live in London.
99. I am slightly addicted to post-its.
100. My favourite colour is blue. And purple. And red. And green. And pink.