It has been such a big, crazy, fabulous year - I'm exhausted just thinking about all the changes that have occurred. I'll warn you in advance also; a lot of these answers are house related. :) I
1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
We bought a house.
*grown up behaviour klaxon*
And adopted three kittens.
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I did pretty well on my New Year's ambitions as a whole - albeit with some notable failures (swimming, story writing and weight loss, I am looking at you!). I'm proudest of the blog posts, the reading, and the writing cards! One thing I have definitely learned is that the more organised I am, the more successful I am! Next year I'll be working away on my '32 in 32', but my main resolution is to get healthier and hopefully lose a decent amount of weight.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, we lost Grandad America this year. Such an inspirational man.
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Scotland, Spain and Belgium.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More time to write, more time with Matthew.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
14h December will forever live in infamy for all of us, I think. Such a sad and heartbreaking day. Praying for those affected still.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Buying a house, and reading 52 books!
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Bar a few sniffles, tummy bugs and aches, I've been extremely lucky.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
I have some of the best friends on the planet....so probably them! :)
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
No-one. It's not really my job to cast aspersions on the behaviour of others. To quote Plato, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
14. Where did most of your money go?
House, furniture, savings and home improvements.
Oh, you guessed it....our house! And our adorable kittens!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
There can be only one:
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
I think I'm happier - in fact, I think as this decade and season moves on I'm generally becoming more content and happy. I have so much to be grateful for, and I think age is making me more and more appreciative of all that I have. I am about ten pounds thinner. And I'm probably a little poorer as per money in the bank, but undoubtedly better off as all the money I don't have is actually still there, just now tied up in brinks and mortar :).
Spending time with friends, exercising and writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying and being afraid.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2011?
Well, I am happily attached to Matthew, and he's definitely special and I am definitely dating him. Four and a bit years now, hard to believe!
No 22 or 23...hmmm!
24. What was your favourite TV program?
The Big Bang Theory, The Daily Show, Downton Abbey (right up until the Christmas special!), Have I Got News For You, Homeland, How I Met Your Mother, Storage Wars, Take Me Out, 30 Rock.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don’t believe in hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
I have read 52 books this year, so it's a tough call. Gone Girl was both chilling and surprising. Game Change was revelatory (and great to read in a US election year). Bossypants, Moranthology and Let's Pretend This Never Happened all confirmed three of my biggest intellectual girlcrushes!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I just kind of absorbed music this year, but there's no one act that leaps out as amazing. I did very much enjoy Fiona Apple's album, and Taylor Swift's too!
28. What did you want and get?
A house and cats. Winning!
29. What did you want and not get?
An iPad. Which is awesome, because Matthew surprised me with a Chromebook for Christmas instead, which is sooooooo much better for blogging (the primary reason I wanted the iPad for)!
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Meh. I went to the cinema a handful of times (I've become a cheapskate in my thirties!), as I now tend to wait for movies to appear on Sky (because then they are 'free' - albeit as part of an existing payment, rather than £12 a ticket!). That said, I did enjoy Pitch Perfect and Anna Karenina, and am looking forward to Les Miserables (inner theatre geek, activate!).
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 this year. It was a fairly tame affair - a day at work, including our class party, then home for eggs and a 30 Rock marathon (complete with 'night cheese' - Liz Lemon would be proud!).
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Worrying less about nonsense.
Comfortable, with dashes of shiny.
34. What kept you sane?
My friends, books, and blogging.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
George Clooney, David Tennant, and Dave Grohl.
(no change again!)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. I have only just noticed that there is no 37....hmmmm....
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably Jo and Marny - two super girls who make me laugh a lot!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Look after yourself.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.