What a year it has been.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I gave up on resolutions this year....and it was brilliant! Now I tend to have a focus area or a word or two to ponder on. Much easier and less worrisome - I feel I'm a bit too old for lists of resolutions now (YMMV, of course, but I'm out of patience for them now!).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Scotland, Spain.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More sleep! Apart from that I am very much enjoying the trajectory!
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
13th April. Where I got to say 'Really?', swiftly followed by 'Yes, please!' to Matthew's proposal!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably getting through the whole Geffen episode - tiring, wearing and at points pretty ouchey, but I'm so glad to be facing 2014 in a healthier place, and am ready to get back to embracing the good habits that drifted somewhat while I was under the weather.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Looking after myself, honestly. Taking the time to eat healthily, rest properly, exercise, go to the doctors... I need to improve in this area and stop running myself into the ground. I think I've finally grasped that I'm not much use to anyone if I am rundown, tired and ill!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Geffen, the uberlump. It was sore and tiring, but blessedly benign. I'm hoping when I have my final scan in February I'll get the all clear.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Anything that made someone smile.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
As ever, my loved ones. They are superb.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
No-one's behaviour would garner that level of ire, but occasional rudeness and nastiness has bubbled up hither and thither. Such is the world, but generally I try to rise above it and let it pass me by. And if and when I'm rude or nasty, I try to reflect on it and to make amends as best I can.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Savings towards the house, savings towards the wedding, and visiting folk, attending weddings and socialising.
Weddings, cats, and girldates.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Royals, by Lorde.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier. Fatter. Richerish. An overall win, but I can't wait to get back to exercising properly in the new year, now that Geffen is gone!
Reading, napping, letter writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about what 'they' might think about this or that.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Cosily at home with Matthew and the cats.
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2013?
Some lovely JLL girls!
No 22 or 23...hmmm!
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Nashville - I am so excited for it's return! And Scandal.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don’t believe in hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
I enjoyed Wild, Lean In, Burial Rites, Quiverfull, Crazy Rich Asians and Hyperbole and a Half.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Whatever awesomeness Christy was sharing! She's my musical muse.
28. What did you want and get?
Love, friendship and laughter.
29. What did you want and not get?
Hair that makes sense.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
For the sheer visceral effect it had on Naomi and I when we went to see it, I'm tempted to say Les Miserables! Not really sure though, I haven't really been blown away by any films this year.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33. The eve of my birthday I spent having steak with Matthew, and on the night of the day itself went for Christmas drinks with friends.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I honestly can't think of a thing I'd change. It's all part of the journey.
Blue, comfortable, machine washable (hey, I work with kids!).
34. What kept you sane?
Matthew, friends, family, kittens.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
George Clooney, David Tennant, and Dave Grohl.
(no change again!)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. I have only just noticed that there is no 37....hmmmm....
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
I learn this a little more every year.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Life is great without a care, We aren't caught up in your love affair."
Because Lorde is improbably wise for one so young.