Growing up, I used to love making mixtapes and mix CDs. The opportunity to share favourite songs, discover new artists and the unique joy of knowing your friend/crush was listening to the exact same music somewhere else?
With the advent and ascension of iTunes and spotify, it's fallen out of vogue, but I still yearn for that sharing economy, that "here's my jam", that "I-realise-this-song-is-fifteen-years-old-but-I-am-currently-obsessed-with-it".
So every month or so, I'm going to post a youtube playlist of what's currently rocking my little musical world. Before it all gets VERY Christmassy next month (39 days, guys!), here's my November mix....
1. Blank Space - Taylor Swift
Good heavens, this woman. Love this song, love this video, love the whole album. I am super-psyched to see her live again next year!
2. Funny Little Frog - Belle and Sebastian
I always have time for a good Scottish indie tune.
3. If I Were A Boy - Beyoncé
So help me, I like this song. B can belt like nobody's business and this is a good old tune!
4. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
I never used to really have an opinion on Ed Sheeran. I'm well beyond his target demo and he was an artist I didn't like much...but was pleasant enough not to rile me! However, his recent songs ('Sing' and 'Don't, as well as his duet with Taylor Swift) I've enjoyed, and this song I love. It's just so sweet and the video's lovely.
5. Criminal - Fiona Apple
Angsty girl music of the indie-rock variety. This was a repeat player in my youth!
6. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
7. What Goes Around....Comes Around - Justin Timberlake
I love how OTT this video is! Great pop song.
8. Underneath The Stars - Kate Rusby
Kate Rusby is one of my favourite folk singers, and this song is beautiful.
9. Twenty Years and Two Husbands Ago - Lee Ann Womack
10. I Won't Give Up - Lennon and Maisy (covering Jason Mraz)
Speaking of country, when is Nashville back? Man I love that show.
11. "Let It Go" via Google Translate - Malinda Kathleen Reese
I first saw this a few months ago and still love it. Always nice to break out some comedy in a mix.
12. Signed Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder
This song always reminds me of 'Now and Then' - awesome movie!
13. When It's Raining - Striking Matches
SM were one of my favourite acts at this year's Country 2 Country extravaganza. I cannot wait for their album to drop!
14. Untitled - D'Angelo
I used to love this song and the album from whence it came. I was reading a piece about RnB stars of the 90s and 00s and promptly fell down an internet hole of career paths. Such is my bag.
PS Loving this whole album