Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Let's Get Cosy
I love this season, and this part of the year. The nights are drawing in, it's cold and there's a nip in the air, and the city is a symphony of greys, oranges and browns. Even sniffling through the first cold of the season cannot dampen my spirits!
Part of what I love about this time of year is the compulsion to get cosy, to curl up, to slow down, and to get a little hygge (if you're feeling on-trend and Danish about it). It's the season of self-care, serenity and hibernation...
As I love it so much I thought I'd share a few tips on how to really embrace the cosy vibe.
1. Invest in some candles and little lights or lamps. I love the smell of candles, the twinkle of fairy lights and the comforting glow of lights piercing the autumnal darkness. After being out in the cold and the wet it's a great treat to be in a cosy house.
2. Make time for cosiness and relaxing - the gentler pace is so good for us in this season. Plonk oneself on the couch with a cuppa and watch that classic movie.
3. Cook tasty, slow, seasonal food. There are so many great ingredients in season at the moment, from squash to figs to apples and I'm having great fun cooking up some tasty, wholesome foods and meals with them. It's also the perfect time to break out the slow cooker for stews and soups - it adds some warmth and will make your house smell amazing! I try to use ours once or twice a week in the cold seasons - tomorrow I'll be making my veggie chilli to stock us up for a wee while.
4. Go outside. Bear with me on this one; I really think I like the cosiness even more after a bracing walk because of the contrast between to wind and rain outside and the warmth and glow within. Good for the soul!
5. Break out the blankets and cushions. There are so many great blankets to choose from and I always feel so safe and cosy when I'm curled up underneath a comfortable throw! My favourite ones are a blue one from Target or a much loved old one from Tesco, but there are so many great ones out there for every style and budget.
6. Switch off a little. I like nothing better than getting aware from screens for a wee while, and playing games, baking, reading, or listening to the radio or an audiobook. So pleasant, so refereshing, so cosy.
So those are some of my favourite ways to stay cosy - how about you?
As you can see, Poppet needs no tips!