So, I have half a degree in English (the other half is Film Studies…please withold laughter!), and I’ve always loved to read….so what better way to relax than hit amazon.com and stock up on some reading goodness for the frosty winter evenings to come in the next couple of months?
So, in my basket, poised to go, I have copies of….
The Symposium – Plato. Jean is a specialist in Ancient Greek Politics and Philosophy (damn, some of my friends are highfalutin’), and she recommended this. I’m….anticipating it.
Middlemarch – George Elliot. I have been meaning to read this for the longest time. It was actually a second string read for one f my honours courses that I never got round to, so it’s a bit of a catch up for me.
Mrs Dalloway, To The Lighthouse – Virginia Woolf. I think it’s about time I got into Woolf.
A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man – James Joyce. What can I say, I’m working my way up to Ulysses!
Sons and Lovers – D.H. Lawrence.
The Aventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain. I actually can’t believe I haven’t read this yet.
The Idiot – Fyodor Dostoevsky. Sounds fun, don’t it?
Nostromo – Joseph Conrad.
Metamorphoses – Franz Kafka.
The Age of Innocence – Edith Wharton.
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte. Oh, how the Bronte girls annoyed me. I’m hoping that coming back to this book after a couple of years might have improved it.
As well as this list of heavyweights, I’m also going to go to the secondhand bookstore in town and buy myself a half dozen more chilled, recent books too.
But before I get my shop on, I thought I’d work out which books I have at home that I’ve half-finished, or abandoned, or need to get to before buying more, as well of those I’ve been given recently….
1. Anna Karenina – I like this book, but it’s soooooooooo long. Will have to buckle down to it.
2. Siddartha – Am totally stuck two-thirds of the way in and I don’t know why.
3. The Weaker Vessel : Woman’s Lot In Seventeenth Century England – Really good so far, am halfway through.
4. Beloved – Finally refound the copy I have of this (thanks, Mlle Wilson), need to get it read.
5. A Passage To India – fell behind a radiator…..must try and retrieve it!
6. Possessing The Secret of Joy, The Woman Who Walked Into Doors – just haven’t got to these yet…
7. Mao’s Last Dancer, The Learning Game – Got today, yes!
Oh, the next couple of months are going to be a bookfest.
I’ll be over here with a cup of tea, a blanket and a good book :-).
PS Reading this post, you may assume my home is a mess of books. Add some clothing, CDs and DVDs to the mix and you’ve pretty much got it…