Thankfulness

So, it’s thanksgiving for our friends in the States. Happy Turkey Day, y’all! Here in England it doesn’t mean much (although the kitchen are doing a special thanksgiving menu – high five!), but I have to say it’s a festival I can get behind – I think all too often in our Western world we get caught up in feeling deprived, hard-done-by and less-than, and it’s nice to have a chance to give thanks and share.

My tutor group and I had a game of “What are we thankful for…” in tutor time earlier and it was really sweet – they really are a great bunch of kids and I love that they get how lucky they are. Life’s so simple (but hard) when you’re seven – I was grateful that they were so thankful for the right things – family, friends, health, faith…and food, naturally! I told them I was thankful for them, they really are such an amazing asset in my little world :-).

What else am I thankful for? My family – crackers though they may be, they are my people and I love them to bits. I’m thankful for my friends, and for the web of emails, letters, cards, phone calls, texts, visits and blog comments that keep us all in touch. I’m thankful for my health – humans are all too fragile. I’m thankful for my job – yes, it’s tough sometimes, but this is a vocation for me, and I love getting to help little ones figure out what they want to be, and who they are. I’m thankful for a thousand little pleasures – good books, hot chocolate, cold crisp mornings, snugly handmade comforters, the simple joy of planning and preparing for Christmas, the rare chance of a break on a Thursday morning (my class are busily writing timed stories and I’m not allowed to help (imagine those last three words in block letters and you get an idea of school policy!)), and an upcoming exeat. I’m thankful for little victories, for escaping the past, for looking forward to the future.

Be happy and thankful, and I hope you all have an amazing day!

1. Shaz
    23rd November 2006 / 11:43 am

I have read through your blog for the last half hour I really enjoyed it. Thanks for leaving a comment it is a great spot.Shaz 🙂

2. Deb R
    23rd November 2006 / 1:29 pm

That’s a lovely list of things to be thankful for.Hope you have a great day and a fabulous weekend!

3. Gareth
    23rd November 2006 / 2:09 pm

Happy Cluck Cluck Day! :DYeah I know that we are not American but it does no harm to say it to you anyway 😉

4. Anonymous
    24th November 2006 / 1:11 am

Happy thanksgiving to you and loved your list. 🙂

5. Phoenix
    24th November 2006 / 12:41 pm

well-said…regardless of race/religion/ any other specs, being thankful for life on this day or any other, seems like a really good idea! 😀 Have a super weekend!

6. Nee
    24th November 2006 / 12:57 pm

That’s a really nice list…Thanks for putting the spirit of the holiday in me, Claire..

7. chris
    24th November 2006 / 1:05 pm

Boooaaah eh, how did you get sooo many visitors to your blog? I wish I’d have a little more visitors on my little blog :-/Btw: I’m very thankful to have my family, especially my mum, she was in very bad condition after a cardiac infarction 9 years ago. But now she’s doing well and still enjoys life at her 78th year. Thank you so much to God and the doctors!

8. cruisin-mom
    24th November 2006 / 4:19 pm

Wow Claire, you made me cry….that was so touching.

9. Anonymous
    27th November 2006 / 8:21 pm

Claire- you are such a dear. I hope you had a wonderful day as well and I love it when you visit me!