Anticipation, Expectation, Exploration…

The moment before something is often the best part, don’t you think? Me, I’m a big fan of the build up to stuff. The shopping and chopping and cooking before a good meal. The table full of gifts, all covered in shiny paper and loving jottings, waiting to be unwrapped. The moment when you’re onstage, and the band have started, and the audience is ready, and you’re about to sing. That split second before a kiss, when everything just seems to stop…and hang…and slow…and then….

I’m good at anticipation.

Despite being by nature quite hotheaded and impetuous, I am good at waiting.

Sometimes.

I think this is because I like the lead up to things. I love having a glass of wine and blasting music and getting all glammed up for a ball or a formal. I love researching and reading and planning before a trip or a holiday. And since childhood I have preferred Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. Christmas Eve even smells good.

Tonight, however, I’m a little antsy. I’m a little muddled. And I just want to get a certain thing sorted. Soon.

PS In typical Claire style, I’ve found time to write this…but not to pack for my journey south tomorrow… that part of the buildup I’ve never been good at!
PPS How cool is Google Reader?

1. whatigotsofar
    2nd April 2008 / 11:03 pm

Anticipation sucks. This makes me sound like a spoiled brat, but if I want it, I want it now. I don’t want to wait. Waiting is for suckers.

2. Hillary
    2nd April 2008 / 11:12 pm

If Google Reader were a person I would marry him/her (I’m not picky!)

3. Mr. Shife
    2nd April 2008 / 11:16 pm

I have yet to meet Google Reader but I will have to find out how cool it really is. My problems is that I don’t stop and enjoy the moment or event. I am always wondering how much time is left or something to that effect instead of savoring it.

4. vivavavoom
    2nd April 2008 / 11:21 pm

I am so not patient. I want xmas to be xmas eve! hope you have a great trip. thanks for checking my blog out!

5. mermaid musings
    2nd April 2008 / 11:49 pm

You know I giggle with this post, LOLI kind of or better said I am very energetic and yes I can kind of anticipate and get overexcited to the point of making myself tired, too, LOLAlthough, With time I have been trying to stop and enjoy the smell of the roses but no denying of what I said before. Very lovely post!Have a great trip!

6. Heidi
    3rd April 2008 / 1:03 am

Ahhh… if we can’t enjoy the journey, the destination is a let down, I think.But I have to admit… when there is something I have to have, have to do… I just want to get on to it.Thanks for your comment on my blog… Cheers to love!

7. JLee
    3rd April 2008 / 2:26 am

I know exactly what you mean and love anticipation as well. It makes you all tingly! haha

8. Cimba7200
    3rd April 2008 / 2:39 am

I like your philosophy Claire. Anticipation is half of the enjoyment. Like kids building a tree house. In fact in this case building it is the most fun. Thanks for your comment on my site too. – Dave

9. Jillian
    3rd April 2008 / 5:46 am

Anticipation is nice, but I usually hype up whatever is going to happen so much… it winds up being less-than-stellar. 🙁

10. Cheeky
    3rd April 2008 / 12:04 pm

I love a good build up but sometimes that turns out to be better than the actual event – ya know what I mean?Thanks for stopping by yesterday – hope to see you around soon.

11. Sacred Suzie
    3rd April 2008 / 12:10 pm

My husband calls me Iggy for Instant Gratification Gyrrlll…. only when I’m in that kind of mood. Your patience for anticipation intrigues me. I like the sound of this build up. I just hate disappointment, LOL. It’s gotta have a great payoff. The dinner analogy really works for me.

12. bella
    3rd April 2008 / 2:55 pm

Ah, you’ve captured it perfectly, that suspense, build up, the lingering right before.Yummy.

3rd April 2008 / 5:57 pm

Oooh the mystery. I’m not so much anxious as sometimes the best times are the ones not planned.

3rd April 2008 / 6:00 pm

It’s great that you enjoy anticipation – may as well get good mileage from the fun things in life! 🙂

15. jameil1922
    3rd April 2008 / 8:55 pm

i’m all about the actual event. the only thing i like about build ups are countdowns. i wanna know when it’s coming to the second!!

16. daisies
    3rd April 2008 / 10:20 pm

anticipation rocks and google reader rocks my world : )have fun!! xo

4th April 2008 / 1:16 am

I have no clue what google reader is. Apparently I’m so out of it.Hope your moment is as fun as the anticipation leading up to it!

18. cruisin-mom
    4th April 2008 / 3:46 am

Hi claire, haven’t been here for awhile…look how popular you are! Yay for you…you write from your heart, and I’m glad so many people are getting a chance to know you.

19. Jaime
    4th April 2008 / 4:53 am

Wonderful post…I love the build up to things too. Once you reach the moment you have been waiting for, it’s just a moment, and that moment goes by so quick! It’s much more fun to linger in the many long moments of anticipation.:)

20. SareBeth
    4th April 2008 / 1:05 pm

I agree. Christmas eve, is far better then Christmas. After all the presents are opened and your waiting for the dinner it’s depressing. I usually fall back to sleep, under the tree hugging my favorite gift.If your like me you wont sleep the night before the trip. I hope it an awesome one!

21. 2 Dollar Productions
    4th April 2008 / 1:09 pm

The best part is usually the preparation – at least for me – because the possibilities are still endless and mostly good in your mind. Enjoy the trip.

22. R.E.H.
    4th April 2008 / 5:21 pm

Yeah, I’m the kind of guy who will realize I haven’t packed yet on the morning when I’m about to leave. It goes something like this.”Got you bags with you?””Oh, yeah! I gotta pack! Hold it a minute, alright?”Thanks for visiting!

23. ruby
    5th April 2008 / 12:52 am

i think i need to learn to enjoy the anticipation a little more….

24. Foster Communications
    5th April 2008 / 2:16 pm

I do enjoy anticipation! Like the day after Christmas always seems like a let down because all the fun is over.Enjoy your trip!

25. Pink
    6th April 2008 / 2:21 pm

I love Christmas Eve too!!Pack, Schmack! Just toss in some pants, a bra, some socks and tshirts…pack your passport in your hip pocket, a scarf (in case)and depending on your destination, your swimsuit…get out your credit card and you’re ready to go.:)Have fun!xxpinks