It has been, in many ways, a long, frustrating, tiring, confusing and upsetting week. It’s exam season (also known as hello stress and late nights; goodbye social life and sleep), I’m totally homesick for Scotland, my professional life has been rocked by some incredibly political manouvreing elsewhere, I’ve upset a friend by doing something foolish rather than malicious, I am freaking tired, I’ve hit a weight plateau (again????), and as for my boy-related-life? I seriously have no no NO clue what I want / need / think / feel / am doing.
Oh yeah, it’s a banner week round here.
However, I’m me.
Depressed and stressed and angry is not a look I’ve ever been able to sustain for long. The handle, I fly off, and then I regroup and am back to my default (happy/smiley/fairly inane).
So, let’s count some blessings….here are some things I am grateful for, right here right now….some things that are making me smile….come on, Claire, think….
* I have a large box of chocolates and a lovely note from a mummy here at school, because I helped her out this week. I am by nature a helpful wee thing, and gosh darn it rocks my socks when I can help someone out. And when they say thank you, it’s even better!
* Because it can’t be said enough, my friends, both near and far, are awesome. Whether they are sending me CDs or tissues or candy; talking on the phone or texting random nonsense; planning fun or writing letters, in this realm of life I am a blessed young lady.
* I’m lucky enough to live in a democracy in the first world. And be healthy. Sometimes I think it pays to remember this.
* I really do love my job. Parts of it make me want to rip off my ears and toes just so I’d have something to throw, but the actual time with the kids I love. I had a professor on my postgrad who said that certain people had an ‘innate’ teacher thing, and the more time I spend in this job, the more I think I may have it (Ooooh, I hope so. It’d be like a really normal superpower!). I just love being part of these kid’s lives, and hope that the stuff I teach them is going to help them in life – whether it’s addition or a dance move or how to eat pasta or how to help someone who’s having a tough time.
* I have found an awesome song for the staff band. Guess who’s contemplating breaking out the old school Whitney Houston?
* This weekend is (apart from a small window on Sunday) going to suck. Fair enough. But next weekend? It’s Loverpool.
Man, I already feel better. I’m such a cheesey geek!