Hopes and wishes and dreams…

Many months ago, the fabulous and multitalented Sacred Suzie inspired us all to make boards of our wishes, our hopes and our desires, a sort of ‘manifestation’, if you will. In typical Claire fashion, I knew I’d enjoy doing this, but was deep in the throes of a particularly crazy workweek. So I wrote myself a post-it and said I’d get on to it when I had time to spare. At the start of my summer break I found the post-it and got to work! And below are my collages. They’re a bit amateur (I like arts and crafts, but I do find them hard sometimes!) but I actually really enjoyed making them.

I just collected words and pictures that inspired me (so there’s pictures of the beach at Findhorn, the Cairngorms capped with snow, a London scene, Maya Angelou, Dolly Parton, Audrey Hepburn, and other things), collected some quotes (a couple of which I’ve written out below) and words that reflect the things that I love, the things I think are important, or the things I hope to have… It was powerful to sit down and actually think about these things 🙂

“Then you rose into my life

Like a promised sunrise

Brightening my days with the light in your eyes.

I’ve never been so strong,

Now I’m where I belong.”

Maya Angelou, from Where We Belong (A Duet)

“I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.”

Audrey Hepburn

I also wanted to put in this poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson, which sums up a lot for me, but ran out of space! I have a copy of this poem on a wall in my classroom and a little framed version of it at home:

Definition of a Successful Life

To laugh often and much;

to win the respect of intelligent people

and the affection of children;

to earn the appreciation of honest critics

and endure the betrayal of false friends;

to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

to leave the world a bit better,

whether by a healthy child,

a garden patch

or a redeemed social condition;

to know even one life has breathed easier

because you have lived.”

I love that poem.

This was such a relaxing, comforting and inspiring thing to do. Thanks for the cue, Suzie!

What would your collages hold?

1. Scarlet
    14th July 2008 / 9:14 pm

I love Audrey Hepburn’s quote. I feel the same way.

2. Cheryl
    15th July 2008 / 12:02 am

No sure about mine, but I love yours. And the quotes.

3. enchantedartist
    15th July 2008 / 3:48 am

Thank you for sharing this Claire! The quotes and poem are beautiful.

15th July 2008 / 4:53 am

V.V. cool! Mine would definitely include the work “fuck” and some choice quotes that I will post on my blog…

5. running42k
    15th July 2008 / 10:16 am

Very well done and the quotes are indeed inspiring.

15th July 2008 / 12:41 pm

Lovely inspirations! It’s always good to devote time to nurturing the positives of life.

7. Jon
    15th July 2008 / 12:51 pm

I love the poem! I could reprint Emerson’s entire essay Self Reliance on my blog and be happy.

8. ms chica
    15th July 2008 / 1:31 pm

I keep a board on the back of a small privacy screen. Most people don’t know it’s there. It has a few quick sketches, notes from my husband, fortunes from cookies, and a certificate from Locks of Love. Some of these are reminders of things I wish to repeat, others of things I don’t want to forget.

9. Drywall Mom
    15th July 2008 / 2:33 pm

I did one of those a few years ago. I think it might be fun to do again. I’ll make a note of it.

10. Siobhan
    15th July 2008 / 3:36 pm

Mine would include “think positive, act positive, headbutt Steve” among other things. I think life is too up in the air to really know right now, but I like yours a lot.Oh and much as I love you I’m not sure I can publish your comment on ‘One Day’ without losing a wee bit of my mystery. You rock.

15th July 2008 / 4:16 pm

I love that Hepburn quote! I’ve made a board with things I want to bring into my life…but it’s a secret 🙂

12. Jocelyn
    15th July 2008 / 6:00 pm

i’ve always loved the emerson quote.that was an awesome idea/exercise for you to do! your collages look beautiful.

15th July 2008 / 10:09 pm

That epitomizes fabulousity. I love it.I actually once saw that Emerson quote on a greeting care in university and had it hung up on my wall for inspiration. Totally forgot about it ’til now. Thanks! 😀

14. Sacred Suzie
    16th July 2008 / 12:43 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed doing the process and got so much out of creating your dreamboard! Thank you so much for participating, it’s awesome! I looking forward to launching it this Friday. 🙂

15. JLee
    16th July 2008 / 2:23 pm

This is a great exercise and I’ve seen it work for things you want in life.

16. cruisin-mom
    16th July 2008 / 3:16 pm

Hi Claire, I love collaging…it’s almost hypnotic and you can learn so much about yourself while doing it.I love that Emerson poem too.

17. Nydia
    19th July 2008 / 1:44 am

All the collages are so meaninful,and the quotes and poem are beautifully inspiring (and I agree with them so much!). Ilike the challenge Suzie give us monthly, to really put on paperwhat’sin our hearts and minds through images. Kisses from Nydia.