Summer’s End…

…and what a summer it has been!

It’s half past eight here, and I’m sat in my PJs, freshly bathed and smelling of magnolia, watching the candles on my dresser flicker and listening to a nice blend of indie-pop-folk-rock on my mediaplayer, just reflecting on the past two months. It really has been a ‘Summer of Fabulousity’, just as my blog buddy Christy and I had planned. It’s been busy yet relaxed, a time for long talks and big dreams and choosing and deciding to ride the wave. It’s been an amazing time.

I’ve had many, many conversations with people this summer, which I’ve loved. It’s such a proof of a connection when you can actually get down to the nitty-gritty conversationally, don’t you think? I’ve had chats about life, love, work, faith, friendship, sex, politics… They’ve all made me think, or made me laugh. Some have even made me cry, or caused me to take a good hard look at myself and change, react, or say the same. I’ve loved having the time to share with people, whether it’s staying up till five a.m. gossiping about mutual friends; or a lazy afternoon of lunch and coffee and tea and conversational cards spread out on the table; or early morning chats where no-one’s really sure what they think; or a million and four chats I’ve had with the beautiful Mlle Wilson in person, on the phone, or on msn….the last of which was a ninety minute marathon on the phone, which at one point had a soundtrack. We’re so groovy.

It’s been a social summer, with lots of meals and parties and forays to the pub. I looked back over a tonne of photos from these two months earlier, and man, I’ve been happy. There have been stressful times, and sad times, and disappointing times, sure, but the overall mood has to be happy. It’s been a summer of counting blessings. It’s been a summer of hopes and wishes and music and dreaming.

It’s been a summer of thinking, of trying to get a handle on what I want, and what I need. I’ve had to let go of some things and there are other things I have to change. But really, I’ve started to get more of a handle on what I need to have to stay happy and inspired (people, and the chance to help them; love, in its many and varied forms; and a million other little things – starry nights, hugs, little moments that take you by surprise and give you a spring in your step, time to think, kisses, mail, and dreams all fall into this category, amongst other things).

Tomorrow I’m back to school, and into the toughest part of my school year. September and October are tough! But as well as all the hard stuff and challenges, there are sprinkles of fun – gigs and sleepovers and parties, letters to write, dances to boogie to, and no doubt more silly moments, knowing me.

I wonder what the autumn has in store? Here’s to a season of loveliness!

1. Simon Varwell
    31st August 2008 / 8:17 pm

Hurrah to the summer!Good luck for the coming week – hope the new term is a smooth one.

2. JLee
    31st August 2008 / 10:06 pm

It does sound like you’ve had a wonderful and adventurous summer :)I am ready for fall myself. Break out the sweaters and boots!

3. rawbean
    31st August 2008 / 11:17 pm

Glad to hear you had an amazing summer. Your letter is in the mail!

1st September 2008 / 3:28 am

Glad that your summer was fabulous, as all summers should be!!Hope that your first day back goes really really well. Sounds like you are relaxing just as you should before the big day.I love the fact that I am a label for your posts. I’ll have to make sure that I do a bunch of blog worthy stuff for you to keep your posts Christy-related. 😉

5. Siobhan
    1st September 2008 / 8:07 am

Good luck for today and the start of a new term. And I am so glad you had the summer you wanted

6. Sacred Suzie
    1st September 2008 / 1:15 pm

Autumn is on my brain too! It is nice to go back to school after such a fun summer to think about but it’s never easy to say good-bye to happy times like that too. I hope September and October go well for you.

7. changetheworld360
    1st September 2008 / 3:28 pm

The end of summer is always bittersweet. It’s a good time to reflect on things, but it’s also the time when reality sets back in again. Anyway, good luck with the beginning of school, and thank you for commenting!

8. Keera Ann Fox
    1st September 2008 / 3:47 pm

I like that: A summer of fabulousity. 🙂 Here’s wishing you an autumn of fabulousity and a great start to your school year!

9. Caroline
    1st September 2008 / 6:49 pm

I just found your blog… I am feeling very much the same (but no school work for me). I enjoyed a fun social summer… but I look forward to the fall…especially Halloween.

10. Cheryl
    1st September 2008 / 7:46 pm

Feeling pretty much the same over here. Enjoy your fall, i hope it’s as amazing as your summer, if not better.

11. whatigotsofar
    2nd September 2008 / 2:37 pm

Autumn is the best time of the year. All the kids are back in school and no longer running around the streets. The temperature drops from unbearable to bearable and the new season of television shows begin.Glad to read you had a great summer.

2nd September 2008 / 5:03 pm

I’m going to miss summer. Sounds like yours was an eventful one indeed. I’m sure autumn (fall) will be just as cool, well without the warm weather.

2nd September 2008 / 5:58 pm

Hang in there! I love fall…it’s my favorite season.

14. robin bird
    5th September 2008 / 4:49 am

and a as you return to the world of your work know that you are applauded, watched over and loved by your many blogging admirer’s and friends 🙂