On being busy

I always say that I’m best off when I’m busy, and my life, this month I am really putting my money where my mouth is. I’m working hard, I’m playing hard, and despite being shattered (this should be a little better tomorrow, as I’m packing myself off to bed at 9 tonight!) I am loving it.

At school, I’m working harder than I have in a good couple of years, but I’m doing it in a really fun way. It’s like I’m rediscovering why I love my job, why I chose to do it. I’m better prepped, further ahead on my marking, my classroom’s looking better, my kids are happy, and I’m enjoying it. It’s a great place to be, personally. Yes there are stresses and strains, but I’m feeling much more equipped to deal with them.

I’m making lots of time for friends too – by mail, by email, by text, on the phone, in person. I love the joy and fun and wonder my friends bring to my life, and I’m really enjoying my time with them all – whether it’s a night on the Singstar or a wall post on facebook, a phone call or a letter.

I’m blogging regularly and enjoying it. I’ve taken up postcrossing, which is just genius. I’ve had a complete change of attitude on the topic of boys (see last week’s posts). I’m reading more and stressing less. I’m eating well, I’m exercising when I can, I’m singing and dancing and making plans.

All in all, I’m feeling like I’m in a pretty good place. If I could just make space for some dance lessons, the chores I never seem to get on top of, and an extra hours sleep a day, life would move from “pretty good” to “pretty darn awesome”. And it must be having an effect – as we left on Saturday my colleague just turned to me and said “What’s changed?”, to which I replied “Pardon?”, and then she said “You just seem really happy, Claire. You’re always happy and upbeat, of course, but lately, it’s like there’s something deeper there – you just seem really satisfied and happy.”

I cannot say fairer than that. There will be grey clouds ahead (there always are!), but I have an umbrella. Life’s a rollercoaster right now, but I’m kind of enjoying the ride! (ask me again when I get dumped with a huge extra project or somesuch…;))

Have a great week, all.

21st September 2008 / 7:52 pm

Postcrossing looks so cool! I might have to try it.I’m like you: I’m best off when busy. Sometimes this means I get into a summer rut.It’s also awesome when you are feeling awesome and people notice. I love what your coworker said. Yay! 😀

2. changetheworld360
    21st September 2008 / 11:23 pm

A lot of times, being busy takes my mind off of more trivial things. It also makes me think less about feeling depressed. You sound so optimistic, and I wish had that kind of positive attitude!

3. Jen
    22nd September 2008 / 12:45 am

That is awesome to be in that place 🙂

4. Alice
    22nd September 2008 / 12:59 am

good, good, and good for you!my sister is a dancer. she started a phd program in genetics last year and found she didn’t have enough time for dancing, and she was absolutely miserable. she’s forced herself to find a way to dance regularly this year, and she’s honestly a changed person. it seems that if you have to dance… you really HAVE TO DANCE 🙂

22nd September 2008 / 7:16 am

Such a trooper. Good to see you blogging regularly now, cause you wouldn’t want to end up on my ‘blogs that are rarely updated’ list now would you? 😉

6. Scarlet
    22nd September 2008 / 10:37 am

Here’s to you…and making space for dance lessons! 🙂

7. whatigotsofar
    22nd September 2008 / 11:16 am

Your mood is coming across in your blog as well. The words are just flying off the page, well, in this case, the computer screen.Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses when things are going great.

8. Jon
    22nd September 2008 / 2:16 pm

Staying busy always helps me feel better. And I’m glad that it’s helping you out too!

9. cdave
    22nd September 2008 / 5:16 pm

Being busy is great! Almost wish I could slow down sometimes. Sorry I barely saw you over the weekend. I probably should have just done one party.

22nd September 2008 / 10:32 pm

Aww everything sounds wonderful…yay!!

23rd September 2008 / 3:06 am

Yes, yes, you are leaving me in the blog dust…I need to catch up!

12. ms chica
    23rd September 2008 / 9:00 pm

This reads like the best kind of busy.

13. Tinsie
    23rd September 2008 / 10:04 pm

Sounds great! My life is *almost* balanced at the moment, but I’m not quite there yet – there are too many stresses at work and a lot of things I still don’t have time for. But your post has been an inspiration. Thank you 🙂

14. Sacred Suzie
    24th September 2008 / 2:00 pm

What a fantastic post. This sounds like a true and deep shift that has happened inside you. I am so very happy for you Claire. You deserve to have deep inner joy.

15. recklesslydreaming
    24th September 2008 / 3:34 pm

oh, claire….you happy makes me very happy.so good to read this.

16. ellorneo
    24th September 2008 / 5:56 pm

Thanks for the positive post! It really made me smile. I’ll have to check out postcrossing as I never have really heard of it till now.