Love what you do.

Today, as I was packing up my things to leave work after another long day at school, I got to thinking about my job, and my school, and all the little quirky things I love about it. Like anyone, there are things I can do without in my field of work (excess paperwork, early Saturday mornings and anything involving cleaning up wee or vom spring immediately to mind…), but on the whole I can say I love what I do.

I’m uniquely priveleged to do a job that I have a vocation for, and I know that. Every day when I wake up, even if I think “Man, I’m tired…” or “HOW IS IT 6 AM???” or even if I feel like just hiding under my awesome comfy duvet, I never think baldly, “I don’t want to go to work”. Sure, I’d rather be dancing or singing or napping some days, but generally I’m happy to get up and go into school.

I love my little classroom, with its primary colours and occasional chaos and beanbags and bright brash pictures done in felt tip, dedicated to “My favrit teecher”. I love the kids at our school – they are truly a delightful bunch. When I came for interview one of the things that really impressed me was the kids – they are confident, friendly creatures, and the environment we teach and nurture them in encourages this, I think. We encourage them to try and think and dream. And keep their shirts tucked in and their hair neat, of course.

I like that no two days are the same. I like the range of roles I’m expected to assume in the average day, and the skills and knowledge I’m expected to display and draw upon. For example today I had to be (in no particular order):

A teacher, a nurse, a politician, a PA, a community organiser, an IT specialist, a maid, a nanny, a hairdresser, a diplomat, a secretary, a journalist, a public speaker, a dancer, a football specialist, a singer, a reader of stories (the voices required therein surely making me an actress of sorts), a postman, a handyman, a referee, a cleaner, a treasurer, an accountant, a PR specialist, a counsellor, a listening ear, a fundraiser and many other things that escape my notice on a sleepy Thursday evening as I recollect.

I like the little moments – the stories and hugs and conversations on the drive. The little phrases that kids pick up, the mythology of school (Don’t wake the dragon who lives in the cupboard upstairs when we go to get the laptops!). I like that I do something that makes a difference, however small that difference may be. I love seeing my kids happy and safe and inspired.

So while there are other jobs I’d like to try, other challenges I’d like to face, for now I’m happy to simply love what I do.

Wishing you good things.

1. kilax
    7th November 2008 / 2:41 am

I think it is SO IMPORTANT to love what you do – since we spend so much of our lives working! I’m happy you’ve found it!

2. Christina
    7th November 2008 / 3:07 am

What a special, important job you have. It sounds wonderful. I have much respect for teachers like you who so obviously care about our youth. 🙂

3. Jon
    7th November 2008 / 1:22 pm

Being happy with what you do is sometimes more important than how much you’re paid.

7th November 2008 / 2:12 pm

It’s great you found something you’re happy with. I knew I should’ve been a bodyguard or something.

5. Boy
    7th November 2008 / 5:10 pm

The way you write so fondly of being a teacher makes ME want to be a teacher sometimes. Haha.How fortunate to be doing something you love to do! I think teaching suits your sweet disposition.

6. Nicole
    7th November 2008 / 5:47 pm

You are very blessed :o)

7th November 2008 / 6:37 pm

So happy you love what you do! And the “favrit teacher” comments are adorable.

8. Cheryl
    7th November 2008 / 8:11 pm

You are very lucky indeed. I wish I loved what I do that way.

9. PhilH
    7th November 2008 / 8:13 pm

Today I:Taught my usual mathsy lessons.Assisted in a geography lesson on rivers and tributaries, and used a book as a prop to try to explain what a drainage basin is.Tried to help two very EAL pupils explain how Claudio felt when Don John persuaded him that Hero was having an affair.That last one was tricky.I also found out something quite disturbing about someone.Yesterday a Year 8 pupil asked me how long I’d been at the school (a year), and then told me he hoped I’d stay there for years and years. Hmmm.On Wednesday after Year 8 football training I tried to persuade a young boy, who likes to complain a lot, to be a bit more positive. I made him smile when he didn’t want to.On Tuesday afternoon I helped a typically reluctant pupil to cut into a cardboard box safely using a stanley knife. His last cut was better than his first, and he was doing it willingly by the end. Good as.I like how varied my job is this year and, although I often really don’t want go in some days, once I’m there I’m fine. If I stayed next year it probably would be all maths again, and that’s the bit of my job that I least enjoy.I also have exciting opportunities elsewhere. But I want to stay attached to the kids I’m just getting to know.Damn loyalty and sentimentality…

10. daisies
    7th November 2008 / 9:36 pm

i know i’ve said it before but i have to say it again … you make me smile 🙂 xo

8th November 2008 / 1:53 am

It’s great that you’ve found something you adore!!But do tell….why do you have to teach on Saturdays??

8th November 2008 / 2:39 pm

You are lucky! Me too. I have a job that I love, even when I don’t like it.I used to have jobs that had me crying all the way to work every morning. There wasn’t enough money in the world to make those jobs OK. Now, things are much better.