Apologies for another break in blogging – after the end of term, I then did a 990 mile 5 day roadtrip home, which was amazing but also offline. And then it was Christmas mania. How was your Christmas? Hope it was great fun! Mine involved lots of fun with friends, family, etc., so no chance to write. I will blog more about my visiting frenzy soon, but today the post is my look back review – my 2007 review can be found somewhere if you fancy a look back. But now, to the matter in hand. What a year it has been – here are the vital summarising…
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Oh, difficult call. On the whole I’d say I’ve just been braver and more positive and willing to take risks – whether it’s chatting to a stranger or trying a new food or having a mini-adventure, I’ve just been a lot less afraid and a lot more upbeat this year. This is a good thing.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I kind of had ongoing ones from the list of doom….and I kind of fulfilled them, too.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Morag and Scott welcomed the gorgeous Alexis, and Fiona and Seb welcomed to beautiful Bryony Boo. My babytacular life continues apace!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank heavens.
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Scotland, Wales (I have done a lot of whizzing about the British Isles in my wee car!), and Spain.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
I’ve been so very blessed this year. I would hope to keep on this trajectory, in all its messy, fulfilling, silly, awesome wonder, if at all possible. Oh, and a *little* more time for naps is never a bad thing…
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I honestly can’t think of one. It’s more like an album of photographs in my mind – every time I flip through I stop at another snapshot that reminds me of a lovely time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Spending lots of time with the people I care about, and getting straight in my head what matters to me.
9. What was your biggest failure?
On occasion, getting too stressed about work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’d say any gift or card that made someone smile. Oh, and my cute wee laptop!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My wonderful friends. Again.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
No-one, really. Sure, people can vex from time to time, but no-one’s ever been even close to appalling or depressing me!
14. Where did most of your money go?
After rent and bills, most of my money has gone on travelling round to see friends and loved ones and attend Join Meets. It’s been tight at times, but money very well spent. Oh, and I buy more stamps than can ever be healthy!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being a Joinee. Silliness. Friends. A lovely boy. Driving. And circus boys.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
It’s been more of an albums year – Elbow, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Frank Turner…
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier, a little thinner, and a little richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I’ve done lots of fun stuff…but there’s always room for more. Oh, and I’d love to get back into blogging regularly.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I arrived home today, for five days of family, friends, food, fun…and napping.
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2008?
Yes. Yes I did.
23. How many one-night stands?
Not a one.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
QI and / or Never Mind The Buzzcocks.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t believe in hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
I honestly can’t recall. How scary is that?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
A job in a city. Life conspired a little on this.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
28. Worked 8 am – 10 pm.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Free cheese for all.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Whatever catches my eye. Oh, and comfortable!
34. What kept you sane?
My gorgeous friends! (no change!)
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
George Clooney, David Tennant, and Dave Grohl.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I’ve met too many to even start – it has been a year of making new friends and cementing older friendships. Brilliant!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Be kind and make people smile, the rest will be OK.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I don’t think I have a song that could do it justice. It’s been a mental, magical, magnificent year. Here’s to 2009!
To come soon – a blog about Christmas, some photos, and the 2008 awards. Oh, and the visiting update. I really DO need to get back into blogging!
Love, as always,