I don’t really believe in conventional new years resolutions really. So often they are about the negative, the unattainable, the restrictive (I WILL NOT eat chocolate….I will halve in size…I will never ever gossip). So I prefer to use the season of Hogmanay as a time for reflection and celebration, and a time to focus on what I would like to achieve in 2009. I always think of a wee bundle of things also, because if you achieve six out of ten, at the end of the year you think “Woo! Go me!”, whereas one thing out of one not being attained can really sting.
So here are my New Years Ambitions for the year 2009:
1. I would like to learn if the phrase “New Years Ambitions” needs an apostrophe or not! Actually, I’d like to learn more about grammar, full stop (so to speak!). I’ve got some books on this I intend to read. English specialist that I allegedly am and lover of words, my grammar is all intuition, no theory. I’d like to remedy this.
2. I would like to sleep more. I get this awful guilt if I sleep too much, and often stay up late as a result. But the fact of the matter is, I function better on 6-8 hours a night. Yay for an ambition that should be fun to fulfill…
3. I want to write more and sing more and take more photos. I intend to keep my blog going, and I have a beautiful new notebook from Jamanda that I intend to fill with poems (it has been too long). I want to keep singing -it really it my joy. And I’m loving taking snaps, amateur that I am. I really want to make sure that I keep my creative stuff going – I also want to get back into collaging and start scrapbooking. And I want to write many, many letters.
4. I want to carry on getting healthier. 5 a day, exercise 3 times a week, cut the booze down, continue to avoid those foods that give me sore tummy, a little less caffiene. Nothing crazy, just the things I know help me to be my best. 2008 saw some big improvements…bring on 2009!
5. I am going to get organised. I have too much stuff, and I need to let go of a lot of it. Also, if some changes I hoping for take place, it would be a heck of a lot easier to do if I spend the winter and spring getting organised. I’ll never be super organised…but I’d like to be more organised!
6. I want to continue the trend that wound straight through 2008 – spending lots of time with awesome people, doing lots of catching up in person, on the phone, by letter, by email, by text, via blogs, facebook, whatever…. I am lucky enough to be blessed by the brilliant people I have around me, and I intend to spend as much time with them as I can.
7. I want to learn more – to question more – to think more. What’s Obama’s stance on Israel? How do you do long division? What is a sub-prime mortgage? Where’s Angola? What do the different churches think about homosexuality? I’m aware that sometimes life whips by…I’d like to learn more this year.
8. I am going to the dentist.
9. I want to read some of the books I’ve been recommended. I would like to finish watching my seven season West Wing DVD boxset. I want to watch more movies… I love to watch films, but I don’t watch anything like as many as I used to.
10. I would like to continue to learn / to make up more recipes. Nom nom nom.
11. I want to keep doing my RAoKs, and helping people, and making people smile, and being as good a Joinee as I can be.
12. I want to continue being positive and happy as much as possible. I am truly grateful for my ability to count my blessings – I have a life full of fun and smiles and cuddles, a life full of adventures and potential and chances, and I’m just trying to enjoy it all. I hope that when challenges arise, as they will, I can continue to stay true to myself and my beliefs and my sunniness. As I said to friends yesterday – faith, or indeed optimism or happiness, is nothing if it cannot stand being tested. I’ve lived that this year, and I hope I can again next year, to the best of my ability :-).
So there we go. Some I’ll achieve….some I might not. But aiming high is never a bad thing, right?
So friends – what are your New Years Ambitions?
PS In case I don’t post again this year – HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I truly hope 2009 is a year full of love, laughter, wonder & joy for you all!