These are a few of my favourite things….

It seemed to be time for one of these posts… I always like to stop and remember the myriad lovely things that there are, and when better than when we are deep in the depths of January?

So, here are ten things that are making me smile today….

Mail. I *love* mail. Postcards, cards, packages, whatever… I just love coming home to a piece of mail. I guess this may be because I live on my own – it can get lonely, but a piece of mail waiting when you get home always lifts the spirits! It’s also a definite holdover from my boarding school days…

Children, and their little games and smiles and silliness and sheer brilliance.

Working hard – I am genuinely throwing everything I’ve got at my job at the moment. Exhausting? Yes. Rewarding? Undoubtedly.

Sweet nourishing sleep. I’m not getting enough, but when I get a lie-in, man do I ever enjoy it.

Flowers – I must remember to get some yellow roses when I can afford it, I’ve got a real jonesing for a bunch. They are my favourite flowers, and I love how cheerful they make a place.

My new enormous cosy fluffy dressing gown that my brother got me for my birthday. It’s huge and unflattering and warm and ACE.

Delicious healthy food – one of my current favourite suppers is a big old pile of spinach with a tin of tomatoes over it (and a teeny sprinkly of cheese, because I’m not a saint). Actually, I’m smiling at feeling healthier – as wonderful as December and the holiday season was, it’s lovely to get back to working out and eating right (most of the time!) and not drinking too much.

Plans for fun weekends in Birmingham and London and Newcastle and an as yet undisclosed location (because I’m whisking the boy away for a weekend, and he knows when, but not where, yet!).

Cold, rather than too cold, weather. It’s ‘nice’ wintry here today – crisp and clear and chilly. My little flat is not equipped for uber-cold like we had last week.

As ever, my wonderful, awesome, crazy, lovely friends.

Have a lovely weekend, all!

1. Jon
    17th January 2009 / 1:07 pm

I need to do one of these posts soon. It’s even winterey in Florida right now, and we’re freezing. Have a great weekend!

17th January 2009 / 3:17 pm

Spinach is on your list of favourite things? Or even remotely associated with it? You are more virtuous than I, my dear! 😉

3. Tinsie
    17th January 2009 / 3:49 pm

I love mail too. I always have, even though I was never at boarding school ;-)I actually got into postcrossing because of you, so thank you!

4. Scarlet
    17th January 2009 / 4:27 pm

Whisking the boy away. I like that! I need to find me a boy to whisk away. (J/K!) ;)Jon is right…it’s wintry in Miami and I love it! One of my favorite things about Florida is January!I love snail mail, too…especially postcards and packages. I just received a friend’s new book, which I’ll be posting about soon!I wish you a day of yellow roses and little games, smiles and silliness!

5. whatigotsofar
    17th January 2009 / 5:24 pm

I’m sorry, but there is no such thing as delicious healthy food. The two are opposites. Food is either delicious or healthy. It cannot be both.

17th January 2009 / 10:06 pm

Yippee! We’ve had some chilly weather here, which was because there is SUN, so I’m not complaining 😉

19th January 2009 / 2:51 am

Speaking of mail…did you receive the postcards for your students?

19th January 2009 / 2:56 am

I’m sure your boy will love where ever you take him.

19th January 2009 / 3:58 am

Those all sound like fabulous things. 😀

10. Christine
    26th January 2009 / 10:38 pm

I don’t care for the cold. I don’t care for flowers much because of how expensive they are… but I do enjoy themin the ground!