Recent reasons why I love my job (observations on a vocation)

Little smiles at in-jokes from a misheard word in the classroom.

Opening new worlds, whether it’s a mathematical concept, or the magic of baking, or the deep thoughts and ponderings of religion.

That moment when one of your naughties does something really well. Or when he bounds up to you at the end of the day to give you a great big bear hug.

When a calculation or a spelling or an answer just ‘clicks’ in a child’s brain and it’s like a door has opened for them. When you see a child use a method or a strategy or a technique or a trick you’ve taught them to do something well.

The little notes and pictures that I get almost daily – portraits, little love notes, silly cartoons, and mispelled missives, and pictures of things I like (stars, hedgehogs, George Clooney).

How eager my pupils are to do the right thing, and the honour and privelege I have in helping them to work out what the right thing *is*.

The loyalty – to school, to friends, to tutor group.

Cosy Thursday storytimes, reading books “with the voices!” and watching little eyes full of wonder as the story unfolds.

When that shy child snuggles in to tell you a story or a joke or a tale, and you know they are just really comfortable at school.

The silly things they do sometimes, that mean you have to tell them off and struggle to keep a straight face. “Tobelicious! Do NOT torture Kittykat with that worm!!!”

Dancing around the classroom on a rainy Monday morning break, shaking the cobwebs away with a good old boogie.

The soundtrack of giggles and chatter.

Watching the children on stage in a play, and seeing how proud their parents are of them, and how proud they are of themselves.

The nicknames – la Bonj, Beanie, Clembot, Disco Squirrel….

And last but not least….the holidays! This term has been non-stop…roll on the Easter break and time to regroup!

1. whatigotsofar
    14th March 2009 / 11:50 am

Disco Squirrel????

2. Tinsie
    14th March 2009 / 3:16 pm

So, tell, who is Disco Squirrel?!

3. Siobhan
    14th March 2009 / 3:45 pm

Lovely. I love how you describe your job (and your friends and family and life and your world) Your blog makes me smile

14th March 2009 / 9:58 pm

Disco Squirrel! I love it. I love that you enjoy what you do. I had a lot of teachers who didn’t, and I think that’s criminal. Teachers have such a big influence and the potential to change so many kids’ lives for the better.

5. Anonymous
    15th March 2009 / 12:12 pm

Do NOT tell me you’re on Easter hols already! Jealous? Moi?Mlle Wilson xPS call soon?

6. Claire
    15th March 2009 / 9:09 pm

wigsf & Tinsie: I am Disco Squirrel. 🙂 I love woodland creatures, and many of my pupils call me Miss Hedgehog / Squirrel / Badger…it was only a matter of time before they'd elaborate!Siobhan: Thank you, lovely!RK: I'm blessed with a vocation. I also had some *awful* teachers growing up. Inspired me to do it differently! :-)Mlle W: Not yet – a week to go! As for the phone call…oooh, yes please!Cxx

7. robin bird
    16th March 2009 / 2:27 am

“reading the stories with the voices!!” is one of my loves… listening to a good storyteller 🙂 which i feel confident you are my claire.xo

8. Scarlet
    16th March 2009 / 12:44 pm

They give you pics of George Clooney?? How can you not love those kids??

9. ciara
    16th March 2009 / 3:41 pm

it’s important that one can love their job…nice to see you find pleasurable things in it 🙂

10. Ami
    27th March 2009 / 1:30 am

Late in responding to this post, but as I just commented – I’m reading more… Anyway, you’ve hit all of the best part of your (our) job! Love the stories, the ‘click,’ seeing the kids use the strategies you’ve taught, etc. We’re both blessed to be in a job we love!