Change

Yeah, so I’m back onto a healthkick, and this time, it’s permanent. On my life list I’ve said I wanted to drop two dress sizes (taking me down from an 18/20 to a 14/16). I’m currently around a 16/18 (why is it no two stores seem to have the same sizing rationale?), and am really focusing on getting and keeping healthy…(with treats as well, of course – this is the path I want to stay on for good. And you *know* I’m not giving up wine, cheese and chocolate forever!).

The plan is simple – I already eat tonnes of fruit and veggies and drink loads of water, so that’s no problem. My main three areas to target are:

* Portion sizes – what can I say? I grew up in a house where my mum served giant portions! I’m retraining my body and mind on this one.

* Sleep! Yep, I need to sleep more. Oh, such a trial….

* Exercise. I do like working out, but having grown up in a family where it wasn’t ever a huge part of the lifestyle, it’s a learning curve. I’m enjoying it, though, and for the past few weeks have managed 3-6 workouts a week (of between 20 minutes and an hour each), even on the schedule of crazy.

So there you have it. I was pleased to drop the stone and a half last year (of which only 7 pounds returned over the winter hibernation!), and am keen to get even healthier. I’ve decided to be ambitious too, and aim for a ‘healthy’ BMI. Because of bone density, I have an abnormal BMI (for my size it should be about two points lower, according to my doc, but apparently I’m fat *and* big-boned!), so by aiming for 24.1, my realtime BMI should be around the middle of the ‘healthy’ band.

Here goes nothing…

1. kilax
    26th April 2009 / 4:06 pm

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction! I bet you will find it a lot easier to fit in exercise once we start having warmer weather. Good luck!

2. darcknyt
    26th April 2009 / 5:01 pm

Best of luck on this. Learning to do things differently — especially eating and inertia-breaking — are tough things!We’re rooting for you!

3. RennyBA
    26th April 2009 / 7:20 pm

Good luck and don’t forget to have fun while your at it 🙂

4. Siobhan
    26th April 2009 / 7:38 pm

I really like that you are being realistic with your goals.When I am well again I think I shall do it too as I think it will help me not get ill again.I hope it goes well for you.

26th April 2009 / 8:28 pm

I know what you mean about sizes. I never wear the same one, depending on what store I shop at!

27th April 2009 / 3:07 am

My last health kick lasted 1.5 years but I fell off the wagon about a year ago. Must get back on it. Sleep is so important. Especially ‘cuz while you sleep, you can’t eat junk food!

27th April 2009 / 12:47 pm

Good for you, taking care of yourself! My husband is working on weight loss at the moment. He finds it helps to eat vegetarian, because if he makes a hard and fast rule against meat he won’t be tempted by greasy chicken wings and burgers. Personally I think he’s missing out on lean chicken breasts, but everyone has to do what works for them.

8. morethananelectrician
    27th April 2009 / 2:05 pm

Well…good luck. It is slow lifestyle changes that seem to work best for me. Drastic changes are tough to stick with.

9. Tinsie
    27th April 2009 / 4:07 pm

I wish you lots of luck! I’m on a healthkick too, and it’s not easy. I reckon if I don’t give up in the next week or so, I’m in with a chance of losing a bit of weight before summer starts. I hope you do even better 🙂

10. Anonymous
    27th April 2009 / 4:29 pm

Dude, I’m living the sleep one, went to bed at 8.30 last night – I AM the rock’n’roll lifestyle ;-)Actually it was to kick my cold, which seems to be working, so am heading bedward straight after Spanish tonight! Woo! Good luck with it all lovely,Mlle Wilson x x

11. LL Cool Joe
    27th April 2009 / 11:12 pm

Good luck with the new heathly lifestyle. I need to shape up a bit, and get back into the gymn. I’ve been saying that for months.

12. Scarlet
    28th April 2009 / 1:34 pm

You can do it! You have the right plan, Chica!PS – I love how you won’t give up wine and chocolate! 😉