Well, I had written this whole other post…but then I deleted it, for reasons various. What I wrote was good for me to get out of my system, I guess, but just not that great to have out there. So instead, a musical meme, which is way more fun, don’t you think?
So grab yourself a cup of tea / coffee / four-fifths hot water to one-fifth cold (my current fave), and let’s play, shall we?
Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line (or a few ;)) from the first 30 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Italicise the lyrics and post the details when someone guesses both artist and track correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing — looking the lyrics up on a search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game post your own
1. I just shook the handshake / I just sealed the deal
2. I see your face in my mind as I drive away / ‘Cause none of us thought it was gonna end that way
3. So far away and so alone / How could I ever take you home?
4. When I first held you I was cold / A melting snowman I was told
(guessed by the lovely Siobhán first! Flowers in the Window – Travis)
5. Let’s go away for a while / You and I to a strange and distant land.
(Christy got it! Holiday by Weezer)
6. No walls / Can keep me protected /No sleep
7. Lay me down / Lay me down / Lay me down / Lay me down
8. Well you done done me and you bet I felt it
(Guessed by the lovely Stephanie – I’m Yours by Jason Mraz)
9. I keep looking for a place to fit in / Where I can speak my mind
10. Je suis enchanté / Ou est le bibliotheque?
(Foux De Fafa – Flight of the Conchords (also Stephanie))
11. Here we stand / Worlds apart / hearts broken in two (two) (two)
12. I will never bother you / I will never promise too / I will never follow you
(Sweet Annie got this one! You Know You’re Right, by Nirvana)
13. Tell me now / If you came sneaking up behind / Would you know me
14. The grass is screaming long / midnight cars roll past / I’ve been chasing your room / while the summer lasts
15. I’ve been living to see you / Dying to see you / But it shouldn’t be like this
16. I was never cool in school / I’m sure you don’t remember me
(Christy got this one too…Underground by Ben Folds Five)
17. It isn’t the way that you look / And it isn’t the way that you talk / It isn’t the things you say or do
18. We stay in / moving around / so low
19. I was waiting for a cross-town train in the London underground / When it struck me
20. There’s a part of me you’ll never know / the only thing I’ll never show
21. Your butt is mine / Gonna take you right
(Matthew C got this one first. Bad, by Michael Jackson)
22. Those who are dead are not dead / They’re just living in my head
23. I wanna be better than oxygen / So you can breathe when you’re drowning and weak in the knees
24. I must go on standing / You can’t break that which isn’t yours
25. What, what would I do / If I can’t have you / If I can’t have you
26. Wake up, 7.32 am / Can’t believe it’s time to do it over again
27. I hitched a ride with my soul / By the side of the road
(Annie got this one too – Hey Now by Oasis)
28. Everywhere I go / Someone’s trying to be my girlfriend’s best friend
(Rawbean got the artist (Barenaked Ladies), but what’s the song?)
(Stephanie got this one too – Get In Line was the song!)
29. The breath of the morning / I keep forgetting
(Matthew C also got this one – Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead – one of my favourite Radiohead songs!)
30. You’re on the phone with your girlfriend / She’s upset
(Stephanie’s fourth correct guess. You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift)
Have at it, my lovelies!