Show Us Your Life…Favourite Cleaning Products

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

Ah, cleaning.

I actually like cleaning, is the thing. But a crazy work schedule, a busy-ish social life, and a houseful of boys mean my house is not always the cleanest. I do like to keep house and have things tidy, however…I am looking forward to a jolly good spring clean over the Easter break (and that goes for both my house and my classroom!).

When I clean I use a variety of products, but I do have a few things I *always* have in my cleaning cupboard. The first of these is white vinegar – great for washing windows. cleaning mirrors, descaling kettles and taps, plus pretty much another dozen or so household jobs (go ahead and google – it’s amazing stuff!). I like to have lemon around too – lots of clenaing uses, it smells nice (I sometimes boil some water with lemon in it to clarify the air after cooking something stinky), and it’s a must to use on hands after chopping onions!

I used to be a bit of a paper towel fiend, but am gradually cutting this back (it’s all about the environment…). I went to Poundland and bought a bunch of bright cloths which I now use for mopping up, cleaning, dusting and polishing. They’re great.

When it comes to the dishes, I *love* Fairy Liquid. I’ve tried so many other brands, but this stuff is worth every penny…just cuts through grime and dirt. And when something’s really messy a wire wool Brillo pad is a must have.

For laundry I use Bold (one of the few detergents I don’t react badly too with my sensitive skin), and usually iron using a nice water (Waitrose, M&S and Comfort all do lovely ones). I also love my metallised ironing board cover (even if we did have to gaffer tape it to the board!

After all that cleaning and washing, it’s definitely time for a sit down! Then I like to burn candles to make the clean house smell lovely. Yankee Candle, Prices’ and Lily-Flame are two of my favourite brands.

I can’t wait to read the other posts and pick up some tips! Happy Friday, all!

post signature

1. Summer
    26th March 2010 / 1:36 am

My Mi-Mi always cleans with vinegar and loves it! What a neat idea about boiling a lemon to get the cooking smell out of the air! That is a great tip! Thanks for it! Ooooh I love candles to ALOT!!Summer :0)

26th March 2010 / 1:41 am

This post reminds me of those two hilarious British ladies, Kim and Aggie from How Clean is Your House…..I remember they boiled water with lemon in a microwave to get rid of the gunge.

3. Beth McC.
    26th March 2010 / 2:44 pm

Everyone is talking about white vinegar! I will have to get me some this weekend! Great Post! Happy Friday!

4. Jen
    27th March 2010 / 12:56 am

I have always heard white vinegar is good and I have heard of boiling cinnamon and such.. a lemon would be nice 🙂 especially for the spring!I need to get "Spring cleaning" my house!

5. Adam, April & Aidan
    27th March 2010 / 8:54 am

I love lemons as well!!! I clean my entire stove with lemon and warm water. I am also a candle-holic!!! Without candles to make my house smell nice, I would be lost!!!

6. thelumberjackswife
    27th March 2010 / 1:10 pm

I don't have sensitive skin, but my kids and husband do. Especially my littlest guy. Good idea on the cloths! I am trying to cut back on paper towels, too. 🙂

7. Erin
    27th March 2010 / 2:00 pm

Thank you for the comment. I've never seen this "Fairy" dish detergent. I will look around for it and check it out. Have a great weekend!

28th March 2010 / 2:07 am

I want to clean the way they do in Harry Potter. That's all I have to say about that.

9. Jenny
    28th March 2010 / 5:13 am

My house and classroom could use a good spring clean too!!