This review is becoming something of a yearly tradition….you can find the reviews for 2007, 2008, and 2009 by clicking through! It’s always nice to take stock at the end of a year and see what’s happened over the last 12 months. As always I’ve mixed in a healthy few photos (huge thanks to Kaz, MattW, Debbie, Garry, Jason, Ems, Steph and Rah whose snaps I have borrowed – any problems please let me know and I will take them down!).
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I turned thirty. Does that make me a grown up now? Oooh, and I also helped to break a Guinness World Record. I have a certificate and everything!
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I kep some of them. I didn’t keep some of them. I sort-of-kept others. I’d give myself a C for success on these this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep – Maria welcomed Sophia and Nicole welcomed Eric and Cheryl welcomed Evey and Fiona welcomed Oliver and Anna welcomed Alice and Crystal welcomed Isaiah and many other acquaintances from school and college had babies too. Poor Matthew lives in fear of all the babies lurking around!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Luckily, all the people I love have remained healthy. Long may it continue (please).
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Scotland, Ireland.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I’ve been so very blessed this year. I would hope to keep on this trajectory, in all its messy, fulfilling, silly, awesome wonder, if at all possible. Oh, and a *little* more time for naps is never a bad thing…
(I’m going to keep this answer from the last two years, and just say “ditto”!)
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Oh, hard to say. Possibly 10/12/10….because turning 30 sounded like a pretty big deal!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don’t think I can think of one! It feels like 2010 has been a year of little victories and achievements, to be honest.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Putting on far too much weight, making me the heaviest I’ve ever been.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A few twinges and sniffles, but nothing major, thank heavens.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Any gift which made someone smile.
Oooh, and goooood steaks from M&S. 😉
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My friends, family, and my badger. I have such blessings in my life.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I felt disappointed by several politicians.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and bills!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Weddings, babies and engagements. Lots of happy times for friends and family! I was also very proud of Matthew for completing his CFA and Laura for becoming a GP!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Anything by Lady Gaga!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
I’m about the same level of happy, quite a bit fatter, and a little richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Napping, cuddling, reading, writing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With Matthew here at home, with presents, bad TV and good food and wine. 🙂
21. Did you meet/date anyone special in 2009?
I continued to fall ever deeper in love with my badger 🙂
23. How many one-night stands?
Not a one.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Mad Men, Gilmore Girls, Toddlers and Tiaras, How I Met Your Mother, The Office
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t believe in hate.
26. What was the best book you read?
‘Nothing to Envy’ was brilliant. ‘The Happiness Project’ inspired me. ‘One Day’ I found invigorating. ‘Inside The Kingdom’ was a masterpiece. ‘The Return’ moved me. ‘Thank You For The Days’ was excellent.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lady Gaga (I came late to the party!).
28. What did you want and get?
A life full of happiness.
29. What did you want and not get?
Feet that don’t fall apart at the slightest provocation!
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Toy Story 3.
Good heavens, I wept.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was thirty, and spent the weekend with many of my favourite people, doing many of my favourite things – drinks and dinner and panto and ballet and musical comedy.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having a major inspection.
But hey, it’s all done now! 😀
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Whatever fits 🙁
34. What kept you sane?
Matthew and my friends.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
George Clooney, David Tennant, and Dave Grohl.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election, and the coalition which was formed directly after it.
37. I have only just noticed that there is no 37….hmmmm….
38. Who was the best new person you met?
As ever, probably my new class. Endlessly diverting!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Be happy. Choose to be happy.
(I get this right 80-90% of the time, I think. Am aiming for 95% next year :)).
“Rocking” the Singstar with Katie Boo, November 2010. This picture cracks me up because (amongst other things) of the teeshirts. Completely independent of one another, we both made shirts saying Katie (Boo) says RELAX. Heh. 80s tastic!
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“So if you want to be with me
With these things there’s no telling
We just have to wait and see
But I’d rather be working for a paycheck
Than waiting to win the lottery
Besides maybe this time is different
I mean I really think you like me”