5 Minutes: 5 Years Ago

I’m linking up with Lisa-Jo for her Five Minute Friday series. Every Friday she chooses a theme and challenges everyone to write about that for 5 minutes. No editing, no long screeds, just five minutes, whatever comes out in the moment. This is my first time, and today’s theme is 5 years ago…

Five years ago I was twenty five and working as a teacher in rural Northamptonshire. I had a pretty nice life going but one that is so different to my life now. For starters, I lived in the middle of nowhere, so getting together with friends was really tricky.

I lived alone, and was hundreds of miles from friends and family. I didn’t drive (instead bombing around on my little yellow moped) and while I got on well with my colleagues, life was often quite lonely. While at times I miss that season of writing loads of letters, I also remember feeling very isolated and alone, where the post or online sites sometimes felt like my only link to the people I loved.

I was in quite a negative headspace too. A lot of the bad things from my childhood and teenage years reared up like spectres and caused me sleepless nights aplenty. Add in a stressful NQT year and a timetable that didn’t let up, and it was a recipe for quite a tumultuous time.

Many good things happened during this time as well, however. I learned, perhaps for the first time, how strong I can be. I learned I could look after myself. I learned to cherish the time you do have with friends (previously, I’d always had a bit of a tendency to hide away…now I know how to distinguish if and when this is a negative or positive thing. Sometimes it’s healthy and good….sometimes it’s me burrowing). I wrote many letters. I learned to be alone without being lonely (a big step, and one that I learned over the four years I spent in Evenley). My faith deepened. I discovered just how much I love to teach. I started this blog.

Such an important time. Such a strange time. Such a happy time. Such a sad time.

Looking back I am grateful for that time, and even more grateful for the life I am blessed enough to enjoy now. I’m a very lucky girl.

post signature

1. Gaby
    25th February 2011 / 2:47 pm

Hi, Claire. Here from Lisa-Jo's site. I could feel from reading your post the loneliness of that time. Isn't it amazing, though, how sometimes those times are the times when we grow the most as people? We learn just how strong we are. I enjoyed it!

2. Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side
    25th February 2011 / 2:59 pm

I'm so glad you've moved on to a different place. It seems like five years ago wasn't the best for you. So glad to "meet" you via LIsa-Jo's blog! I've been to England six times and I love it so much.

25th February 2011 / 3:25 pm

You had a yellow moped *squeal*I'm happy that you've been able to move on from that lonely place and are blessed with so much goodness now!

25th February 2011 / 5:32 pm

I so now need to get a yellow moped so I can be cool.

5. Jenn
    25th February 2011 / 6:12 pm

I'm so glad that the Lord brought you through your time of trial and that you are able to share it with all of us.Blessings!

6. The Garners
    25th February 2011 / 8:02 pm

This is a really neat post. I'm happy that you are out of that lonely place now and enjoying life! Those time do have a way of making us stronger though!

7. Loni
    25th February 2011 / 10:10 pm

I understand the mixed feelings of five years ago – the growing time and yet it almost seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it. And it's neat to see how God grows us.Thanks for sharing & for stopping by my blog!

8. Mary
    25th February 2011 / 11:49 pm

Hi! I found you from Lisa Jo's site. Thanks for sharing your heart during such a hard time in your life. Glad to meet you!

9. bahava
    26th February 2011 / 2:15 am

mmm thanks for sharing such a vulnerable part of your story. so glad you can look back and see how strong you are.

10. Jen
    26th February 2011 / 4:27 am

Its amazing to see how God grows us and molds us through those situations.. I know looking back can make us realize how much we have grown and learned since times like those..<3!

26th February 2011 / 4:45 pm

It's so true that we can learn/grow so much from our hard times.

26th February 2011 / 8:26 pm

You have great perspective. Interesting idea for the Friday posts…I'll try it.