Show Us Your Life: Book List

Yay! It’s time for another ‘Show Us Your Life’. Once more I am linking up with sweet Kelly for this blog carnival. This week Kelly would like to know what books are on our book list just now.

When I tidied up my shelves the other day I realised I had 64 books I needed to read just in the house. Then there are the three others I just picked up. And the half-dozen on my Kindle! This is one of the perils of being a teacher and one who teaches a lot of English – I am forever picking up books, being bought books (no complaints!), being loaned books (again, no complaints!), so I tend to pile up books like a squirrel hoards nuts! I am aiming to read for at least half an hour a day, to hopefully clear some of this wonderful backlog. I have also decided to pick my top four or five from the list to target first, rather than taking you through the seventy or so….

I’ve just finished One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, and I’ll be reviewing it here soon. This is a fascinating book where Ann delves deep into the roots of faith and the necessity of thanksgiving in our walk. I found it interesting and challenging, with plenty to ponder.

Next up, I am currently reading A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg of the blog Orangette. I’d never read her (awesome) blog before, instead picking this book up on a whim, but I am really enjoying it. Very much like other cookbooks such as Sophie Dahl’s latest, Molly weaves stories and recipes together in an entertaining and enlivening manner. And the food sounds delish – Matthew and I will have to do a *lot* of walking this summer if we’re going to eat like this!

Next up will be Room, by Emma Donoghue. When a book is as critically adored as this one has been, I find it comes with a lot of baggage, but I’m looking forward to diving in, reading it through, and making my own mind up…

Then something lighter (like a meringue after steak and potatoes) – The Wonderful Weekend Book. I observed last term that I spent far too many of my weekends doing work (and not just a few hours. I’m talking days.). Next term I’m hoping to work smarter and enjoy my weekends a little more…this book should hopefully provide some inspiration!

Lastly, The Book Thief. This has been recommended to me by several excellent reader friends of mine. I look forward to digging in!

I’m looking forward to reading other peoples’ book lists…although I think my amazon wish list will be groaning with future reads once I have done so! No new books here until the backlog has at least shrunk, but inspiration is always a good thing!

Happy reading!

post signature

15th April 2011 / 1:00 am

I will say The Book Thief is one of my favorite books! It made me smile, it made me cry, I absolutely loved it! Let me know what you think when you get to it!

2. Angela
    15th April 2011 / 1:16 am

Love your list, I am reading Ann's book too-LOVED it! I'm a new follower.Angela

3. Christine
    15th April 2011 / 4:16 pm

I love seeing everyone's different takes on "distance". I have those friends and family too, for which distance is a tiny obstacle. Cultivating those relationships in creative ways keeps them alive.And your book list is fascinating! I'll have to check a few of those out.

4. eas
    15th April 2011 / 8:50 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog. The book thief looks fabulous-Ill check it out. Yes, Bethenny is fabulous-not sure if you get her show in UK but she is a big hit over here right now. HILARIOUS. Have a good weekend.

5. Shan
    15th April 2011 / 10:13 pm

My to-read list never shrinks, it only grows longer! I loved Room (as did many, many other book bloggers) and I'm currently reading One Thousand Gifts! Enjoy all your reading!

6. Let'sMakeADifference
    15th April 2011 / 11:00 pm

Found your blog through Kellyskorner! Am now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

7. Relyn
    16th April 2011 / 2:22 am

OK> That's the third time today I've seen the first book you mentioned. I better head to my library…

8. Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend
    16th April 2011 / 6:49 am

Love the first book and have to check out some of the others…Happy Saturday

9. Healthy Branscoms
    16th April 2011 / 9:36 am

I read The Book Thief. A kid at my work recommended it. I loved it. So sad. Love your blog! You have some great books there! Erinwww.healthybranscoms.com

10. Katie@Yoga Gal
    16th April 2011 / 3:49 pm

That makes me feel much better about the two books that have been sitting on my nightstand for the last two years! I look at them, but then get distracted by a new, shiny book that was just released. Must resist!Thank you for commenting at Yoga Gal! 😀

11. Amanda
    16th April 2011 / 8:59 pm

I have heard great things about The Book Thief, too! Will add that to my ever-growing list!