The lovely Kelly has started another round of ‘Show Us Your Life’ posts. I love this series, being both chatty and inquisitive in nature and naturally wanting to see how people do things in their corner of the world. Through this particular blog link up I’ve gained countless hours of joy, as well as lots of ideas for decorating my home, helping my class to learn and so many party ideas. Thanks as ever for co-ordinating this, Kelly!
This week this theme is “share tips on blogging.” Now, I do not profess to knowmuch about blogging, but after five years, the nuggets I will share are….
1. Blog what you know. Write about the things that interest you, the things that inspire you. I know that’s a creative writing 101 tip, but it’s true!
2. Be honest and real. By all means, use pseudonyms where you like or omit whole sections of your life where you like to, but when you do share, be real. Your readers will be just as pleased to read an honest post about a disappointment or a blue day as they will looking through another set of photos from a party / blessing list (both of which appear frequently here, ha!).
3. Get out there and visit other blogs. There is some wonderful writing and some wonderful people. One of my dearest friends, Christy, I met through blogging, and there are countless others whose wit, humour and take on life I enjoy. You can find many of them in the sidebar to the left. 🙂
4. Think before you post. As much as I stand by point two, do make sure that your words won’t unnecessarily upset or offend – unless that’s your aim, naturally.
5. Don’t get too hung up on followers/page views/google position. As nice as it is to be read, to feel heard (I love comments. follows etc as much as the next girl), your blog needs to be authentic and you.
6. Join in. I regularly join in with ‘Show Us Your Life’, as well as ‘Five Minute Friday’ and ‘Project Life Tuesday’, because they help my writing, inspire me, and introduce me to other bloggers. There are so many bloghops and carnivals – I would say find one, two, or three to join and enjoy them! Comment on the blogs of others, email, engage!
7. Learn to enjoy the scheduled post function! Don’t overuse or abuse it, but embrace it when necessary!
So those are my magnificent seven….how about you?
If you’re new to my blog and would like to read a range of posts, here are some clickys (oh, and pleased to meet you, by the way :-)). I hope they amuse / move you, or at least provide a welcome diversion!
On being called fat (among other things).
Have a wonderful Friday, all!