30 Days of Thankfulness: Country

We 21st century Brits aren’t always the best at patriotism, but I definitely have to put my country as one of my things I’m thankful for. Yes, we’ve made huge, terrible mistakes in the past, at the present time, and no doubt in the future, but there is so much I love about my country.

The poems of Wordsworth, Pancake day, sticky toffee pudding, Christmas stamps, Strictly Come Dancing, sunny days in Regents’ Park, Harry Potter, Wimbledon, Emma Bridgewater, the Oxford Street Christmas lights, the passion of the four nations for their football teams, manners, Stephen Fry, the Edinburgh Fringe, amazing chocolate, the weight of £1 coins in your purse, great whiskey, the amazing range of accents, ceilidhs, the wealth of comedy, Oscar Wilde’s witticisms, the obsession with the weather, red buses, history around every corner, the untamed wonder of the Highlands, fish and chips, yorkshire puddings, haggis, mince pies, The Vicar of Dibley, Guy Fawkes night, the great British pub.
Link
Not bad.

Oh, and Hugh Grant has something to say, too.

What do you love about your nation?

post signature

1. LL Cool Joe
    5th November 2011 / 11:32 am

Yeah it's good to think positive thoughts about the UK at the moment I agree. And mince pies help. And a great country pub!What about the Marks & Spencer's food shop? Nothing to bet that in the world I don't think!

2. LL Cool Joe
    5th November 2011 / 11:32 am

Beat I mean. See I'm all excited. Actually my partner is shopping right there now. 😀

3. Claire
    5th November 2011 / 11:28 pm

So your dinner won't just be dinner…….it'll be an M & S dinner!Cxx

6th November 2011 / 3:21 am

I love the stores in the UK that we don't have here. Monsoon! ;)Hmmm, what I love about Canada the most is that camaraderie that develops while we all suffer through extreme weather together.

5. therichgirlpoorgirlblog
    6th November 2011 / 10:11 am

I am also thankful to your country for Harry Potter! Thanks for that!As for America, well, I totally geek out about patriotic pursuits, so I will just list a few things I am thankful for: I am thankful for the spirit of patriotism that Americans put forth whenever we are strongly challenged (i.e. at time like 9/11 and the anniversaries of 9/11). I am thankful for baseball in the summer and football in the fall. I am thankful for all the freedoms we have. I am thankful for the television shows that I love to watch all week. I am thankful for the wide variety of food styles you can find here, from the American hamburger to Thai food to Mexican food to Sushi. I am thankful for tourist sites like the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon, and the National Parks system, which remind us where we came from and show us great beauty. And Walt Disney World. I am REALLY thankful for Walt Disney World…it's one of my favorite places on earth!

6. Claire
    6th November 2011 / 9:03 pm

Ladies, what beautiful thankfuls! Thank you for sharing!Cxx