Very cute pillow found here.
The older I get, the more I appreciate living in Britain and being British.
There may be bigger, bolder, newer, more exciting and exotic cultures, but I love the quiet reserve, millenia of history and dark sense of humour that permeates so much of life here.
Cups of tea, misty autumns, the Queen’s Speech at Christmas (I don’t even watch it any more, but am still glad it’s there. Nostalgia? A comfort blanket? Who knows!).
I also love all the different cultures held within this little nation – how you can get on a train and after an hour be somewhere completely different. New sights, new accents, new vocabulary (this one I know only too well having studied in Aberdeen. Gis a bosie, anyone?).
I love how the weather is like a national bonding point. Recently we’ve all been bopping around revelling in the unexpected balmy spell…no doubt this will dissolve into stiocism when the much anticipated cold snap finally arrives!
It’s an interesting time to be British, too. The London riots have faded in the collective memory a little but some of the messages they sent still resound. Not the one about stealing 20p basmati rice, mind. The Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee both loom large this year and the mood seems hopeful, optimistic (albeit in a dry and self-deprcating Brit way). The question of Scottish independence is once again at the top of the agenda and the economy is still faltering. Interesting is definitely the word.
Anyhoo, my top ten British things (off the top of my head!):
1. Unironically, the weather. I like our seasons!
2. Queueing. It’s not fun, but we rock at it.
3. Joanna Lumley
4. British comedy.
5. Manners (slipping majorly in many areas, alas – hello, London! – but still a big part of the culture.
6. British puddings and sweet treats (apple crumble, Victoria sponge, sticky toffee pudding *and* scones with clotted cream?). Awesomeness.
7. Red buses. Ooh, and the Tube!
8. Doctor Who.
9. British music:, especially The Beatles, The Pet Shop Boys, Radiohead and the Stones.
10. Black cabs.