In praise of Gilmore Girls

Image source

I came very late to the Gilmore Girls party.  I didn’t really watch much TV or read many magazines from 2000-2005, so its heyday passed me by.  It wrapped in 2007, and was sporadic in its scheduling over here anyway, so the phenomenon pretty much passed me by!

This all changed about two years ago, when I bought the first season on DVD, and promptly fell in love with all the quirky inhabitants of Stars Hollow.  I love Lorelai and Rory (qualifier: I love them most of the time.  Sometimes they are so pigheaded and/ or capricious I just want to shake them), adore Sookie, and definitely want to be Emily Gilmore.  Seriously – those suits?  The pearls?  Amazing.  When I discovered she was a Junior League member I literally clapped with glee.  There’s a very real danger if I ever procreate and it’s a girl, then her name will probably be Emily Lorelai or Lorelai Emily!

Ha.

What can I say, after watching seven seasons in two years, I’m a little attached to the characters.

Don’t you love when that happens with shows or characters?  I will always have a soft spot for Claire Danes and Joshua Jackson, primarily because of the 1990s based awesomeness of Angela Chase and Pacey Witter.

Do you have any characters you are inordinately fond of?  Let’s geek out, friends.

1. Kristin
    24th January 2013 / 8:11 pm

I love Gilmore Girls!!! I am so upset it ended after only 7 seasons. Wish it had gone on longer. I want to be a fun mom like Lorelai. 🙂

• Claire
      25th January 2013 / 9:28 am

I love her too! The dynamic between her, Rory and Emily is so sweet at times!

2. Nadine
    25th January 2013 / 12:02 am

I'm definitely inappropriately attached to the characters of how i met your mother. I literally want to be Lily and Marshall. I've also been watching Grey's Anatomy since high school and so when anything happens to one of them I get really emotional, like they are actually a part of my life. It's weird.

• Claire
      25th January 2013 / 9:28 am

Oh, I love HIMYM too! Lily is my idol – I love the silly asides about her job!

25th January 2013 / 1:14 am

Leslie Knope from Park 'N Rec is a fave of mine. In fact, I squealed when Amy Poehler introduced Bill Clinton as "Mr. Hillary Rodham Clinton" at the Golden Globes because I felt it was her shoutout to Leslie.I did enjoy Gilmore Girls a lot. I was always a Jess fan, not a Dean fan. Don't tell me if you were a Dean fan 'cuz it would break my heart.

• Claire
      25th January 2013 / 9:30 am

Totally #TeamJess (and I also like Logan, I love how he grew and matured and really 'got' Rory!). I was at book group last night surrounded by Dean-lovers: I was aghast!

25th January 2013 / 3:41 am

I actually haven't seen it – I love just about every BBC sitcom character, though. We still rattle off lines from Coupling!

• Claire
      25th January 2013 / 9:31 am

Love quotable shows! 30 Rock, Friends, Dawson's Creek…..and Coupling's good for a zinger too!

5. Siobhan
    25th January 2013 / 12:06 pm

You know how I feel about Gilmore Girls. xx

• Claire
      27th January 2013 / 3:04 pm

We so need a GG sleepover party.