Five Minute Friday: Bloom

Five Minute Friday

“Bloom where you are planted.”

I’ve always loved that phrase.  I can’t recall where I first heard it, but it’s one of those lovely quotes I’m so fond of collecting.  I collect words of wisdom as others collect badges or coins or pebbles.  I like to keep them in my pocket to pull out and look at when the mood takes me.

It’s a good quote.

Next month, M and I will be starting our marriage.  Planting a seed that I, and he, and we, hope will grow into something strong and good and hearty.  It’s something that we want to nourish and enjoy, to watch flourish and bloom.  This season of being engaged has been fun, but I’m so ready for the big day.  And the bigger life.

I’ve been thinking about growth, about blooming, in the recent past.  I’m unbelievably lucky, but a few things had been niggling.  I have long been a people-pleaser, and recently I’ve been working on this.  Because while I want to be a great partner, friend, teacher…I’ve realised that another quote is true.  “You can please all of the people some of the time.  And some of the people all of the time.  But you can’t please all of the people, all of the time!”  And some people just aren’t going to be pleased.

Yep, at the age of 33, I’m finally making peace with the fact that not everyone is going to like me.  And that’s okay.  Now, please don’t get me wrong, I’m hoping that not too many people actively dislike or hate me, but I’m sure there’s a healthy whack of people for whom I’m just not their cup of tea.  Maybe they don’t get my sense of humour.  Maybe they are annoyed by me.  Maybe we used to get on, but have both grown up and apart.

Who knows?  Who cares.

There’s a cast of lovelies who I adore, and to quote Frank Turner, “I’m happy and I’m settled in the person I’ve become.”  My friends are quite well able to tell me when I’m being a muppet (hint: frequently).  As for everyone else; good luck to them.  I’ll carry on walking my little path, and enjoying the company on the way.

As I grow and bloom.

1. jviola79
    18th July 2014 / 11:40 am

I am linking up right behind you at FMF. Your very first line brought a smile as we both thought of the same quote – you liking me & me not so much. But the truth is, we do bloom and grow right where we are as we accept we are who He created us to be. He works in our lives and changes us as He sees fit. Congratulations on your marriage! May He bring something beautiful in the days ahead. For His glory! Blessings!

• Claire
      22nd July 2014 / 9:13 am

Thank you so much!

2. Eileen
    18th July 2014 / 12:11 pm

Nice to meet you, Claire. As a recovering people pleaser…I can relate! It's an exhausting way to live, isn't it? And, really, we only need to be focused on pleasing ONE. 🙂 Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

• Claire
      22nd July 2014 / 9:14 am

Lovely to meet you too 🙂

3. Relyn Lawson
    18th July 2014 / 1:16 pm

That's such a difficult lesson for me. We are a decade apart and I am still working on being OK with not everyone liking me. I've been an adult now for quite some time, and I really know that it is impossible to be liked by everyone. I just wish I could get the Jr. High girl out of my head once and for all. :^)

• Claire
      22nd July 2014 / 9:14 am

That Jr High girl can be such a pain….here's to learning the lesson together.

18th July 2014 / 6:53 pm

Good for you! I have the same problem, believe it or not. It's hard for me to set boundaries without feeling that I'm disappointing someone. I've come to the realization that it is inevitable sometimes, since not everyone is always going to get what they want – nor should they.

• Claire
      22nd July 2014 / 9:15 am

Wise words, Ms RK!

20th July 2014 / 5:43 am

Hahaha, this quote makes me sing the song of the same name that we used to sing in elementary school religion class. It was so lame but it was a fave of mine to sing in grade 2.Hahaha, I can't believe you guys use the term "muppet" when you are telling someone to smarten up. If anyone called me a muppet, I would be so happy and say "oooh, who am I? Beaker? Rowlf? The Swedish Chef?" and on it would go.Kind of like "hit the bin". Bahahaha.

• Claire