Making a house a home

Source: This cute printable is from Nessa Makes.

During the holidays, our house tends to be clean, tidy, well-kept.

During termtime….it’s a different story.

I make lists, plans, schedules, but choosing chores rarely happens – there’s always other stuff to do!

My friend E posted this schedule on pinterest the other week, and I liked the simplicity.  Just a few things to do each day.

My problem otherwise is that I get too ambitious.

Past Me always woefully overestimates how much Future Me will be willing and able to do.

It’s very easy to write in my planner that on a Wednesday night I’ll hoover the sitting room, iron a pile of shirts and cook up a batch of treats.

It’s very hard to do so on that Wednesday night after an extra long day at work, or an impromptu late night chat with the girls, or a date with Matthew!

Just called me a wannabe housewife.  I love a good bit of homemaking, but it’s hard to fit it all in sometimes!  So I try my best.

Don’t we all?

How do you get it all done, lovelies?  Do you have a favourite chore? (Mine? Cooking and ironing)  Or a most-hated chore? (Hoovering!).

1. Siobhan Mac
    19th November 2014 / 11:01 am

I also hate hoovering. And ironing. I like cooking. I like having a clean flat. I think that is where it ends for me!

• Claire
      23rd November 2014 / 4:02 pm

Hee! I love when I have time to clean – there's a nice satisfaction to beautifying the place! Can't wait to see your lovely home soon 🙂

2. Shan
    19th November 2014 / 3:28 pm

I hate cleaning the bathroom. I'm never happy when that chore comes around. I do love laundry though, it's too bad I'm in an apartment and don't have my own machines!

• Claire
      23rd November 2014 / 4:03 pm

That must be tricky. I love our washer – it plays little tunes to say hello and goodbye!

3. Monica
    19th November 2014 / 10:28 pm

I HATE doing the dishes–probably because I was spoiled for all of my life until moving to the UK by having built-in dishwashers! But somehow we've settled into a routine where I do the washing and Josh does the drying.I like (wouldn't say love) sweeping, hoovering, mopping, and ironing! But that doesn't make it any easier to do those things after a long day/week.

• Claire
      23rd November 2014 / 4:03 pm

I hear you – when I have a spare hour or so a day, everything runs smoothly. When I don't….

4. Angela B
    23rd November 2014 / 1:52 am

i LOATHE washing up! I leave that to Robin. Strangely, I find doing the laundry calming! The Awkward Blog

• Claire
      23rd November 2014 / 4:05 pm

There's a lovely rhythm to laundry, I find.

5. The Garners
    23rd November 2014 / 2:23 am

Doing the grocery shopping/putting the groceries away is my least favorite chore. I don't really mind laundry that much and I actually kind-of enjoy making beds/changing sheets. I like having nice, crisp beds–it makes the whole house seem much cleaner to me! 🙂

• Claire
      23rd November 2014 / 4:06 pm

Making beds is quite fun – I love how you can do it and a room looks at least 80% tidier!