I’ve done this review at the close of each year since 2007. Back then it was very much the era of quizzes and myspace surveys and email around doodads. My writing and blogging has moved on a fair way since then but nonetheless I love taking a chance at the end of the year to look back in the past twelve months…I couldn’t resist doing it again!
This review is becoming something of a yearly tradition….you can find the reviews for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 , 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 by clicking through. It’s always nice to take stock at the end of a year and see what’s happened over the last 12 months.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
I went on honeymoon. I walked away from a career. I saw the Pacific Ocean.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I tried to lose weight.
Next year I’m not resolving *anything* along those lines….can’t really do any worse!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So many people! Our life is full of beautiful little ones, we are very lucky!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland, Spain (twice) and the USA.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
A fabulous new job which really inspires me and works alongside blogging & writing would be brilliant!
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sitting in one of the front two seats in first class on the 19th of July, toasting Matthew with a glass of champagne as we set off on our dream of a honeymoon.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably resigning from my job, and taking a leap of faith.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Probably letting self-doubt and worry get the better of me too often. I beat myself up a lot, and it’s such a waste of time and energy.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing of consequence.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Books I’ve enjoyed, tickets to events, gifts for my loved ones.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My beloved friends, husband and family.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I don’t think I get to make that call. We’re all walking a hard road at times, right?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Fun, books, travel, savings.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Blogging, exploring, books.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
There are several, including but not limited to:
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier about some things, sadder about others. The same size. And poorer, for sure.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading, time with friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly at home with Matthew and the cats. It was lovely.
21. Did you meet anyone special in 2015?
I made some really lovely blogger friends – I’d been reading a lot of their blogs for a while, but this is the year I really got to know some of them well.
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Nashville, Gogglebox, Empire, Have I Got News For You, Parks & Recreation, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, House of Cards.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
‘Best’ is always hard to quantify! My favorite reads this year have probably been Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling, The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett, The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan I Know How She Does It by Laura Vanderkam and Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I really got into Drake and The Weeknd towards the end of the year.
26. What did you want and get?
Health, happiness, fun.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
I’ve seen some great movies this year (thank you, Unlimited card!). For sheer joy it’s hard to top Star Wars: The Force Awakens; but I’d give honourable mentions to Joy, The Dressmaker and Spectre as well.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I hit thirty-five and celebrated with lunch with Eileen and Krang, and dinner with Matthew, Shona and Kaz. I had nachos for dinner. Because grown up.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
A little more ambitious than usual at times….and a lot more sweatpantsy at others.
32. What kept you sane?
Good coffee, good books and good friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Too many to list.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Some of the afforementioned bloggers. They crack me up, in an awesome, awesome way.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
To quote Frozen…let it go. Whatever ‘it’ may be.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I honestly can’t think of one that sums up the year, it’s been a real rollercoaster.
I can, however, sign off with some pics from the year! Once again I utterly fail to whittle down to a few…so here’s a slideshow from a big, fun, silly year:
Happy New Year, everyone!