During the ten years I worked in teaching, we spoke often about goal setting and targeting. It’s so important for students to have goals to work towards that they can verbalise, visualise and work towards. This year, I’m going to apply these ideas to myself, and see if I can set regular goals to build up to some new achievements.
It’s said that the best targets are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-related (SMART). So rather than making tenuous statements like ‘be healthier’ or ‘read more’ (these can work for many folk, but I need me some numbers), I’m going to set myself some targets and goals for each month of this year. I only have one new year’s resolution*, so I think chunking the year down into this twelve months will be a good way to make little changes and mark achievements. Here goes!
- I would like to read 5 books this month – I have a huge stack of great reads to get through so I want to make sure I make the effort to read them! My inner Hermione needs to be unleashed.
- I would like to visit and explore two areas of London I haven’t explored fully before. In the city it’s very tempting to stick to the same stomping grounds, I’d really like to get out there and see some new places.
- I would like to track my food and exercise on either MyFitnessPal or Sparkpeople…I’m always better at making good choices when I’m recording.
- I am so overdue on medical appointments – I need to make appointments with my dentist (and hygienist), doctor and optician (and if possible get them done this year). I need to make sure I’m keeping on top of things.
- I want to finish researching cameras and finally purchase one (the Olympus PEN is the strong front runner at the moment!). I’m excited to improve my photography and start work on vlogging this year.
- I would like to lose 5 pounds. I could stand to lose lots of pounds, but I figure every big number is made up of small ones!
- I would like to visit the gym at least five times. I’m aware this is a small goal, but that’s the ‘attainable’ at work. I’ve also been soooooo lazy in the last month when it comes to going there, five will be an achievement. I’m also aware that this involves going to the gym in January….good heavens, please wish me luck.
- I would like to watch four movies at the cinema – between my Unlimited card at Cineworld and the many delights of the PCC and the BFI, there’s no excuse for this to not happen.
- I would like to devise three new recipes and post them here on the blog.
- I would like to throw out / recycle / donate at least twenty carrier bags worth of items currently residing in the house. The place is so cluttered, it’s beyond time for a clearout.
- In March Shona and I are going to the awesome Country 2 Country festival (again!). This month I’m going to try and make a spotify mix of all the acts performing, so we can spend February getting up to speed on all things country. Every year I saw I wish I’d done this when the festival arrives…this year I’m going to get it done.
So there you have it – some goals for the month to come!
Do you have some goals for January?
Did you make any New Year’s Resolutions?
* My new year’s resolution? I’m going to walk for at least thirty minutes, every day. There are numerous days I smash this and walk for hours, but this resolution is all about the days I don’t – meaning even on the days I have the urge to hibernate I need to get out and about! I even went for a walk yesterday…and my usual New Year’s Day involves pyjamas, a boxset, and not leaving the house. Little steps, right?