When we were planning our visit to Norway, Bergen was high on our list of places to visit. The second largest city in Norway is a beautiful place and filled with history, culture, and exciting places to visit. If you’re planning to visit, here are seven things to do in Bergen, Norway.
1. Take the Fløibanen funicular up to the top of Mount Fløyen and revel in the views of the city and its environs from the most awesome of viewpoints. The mountain is full of attractions too, with cafes, parks for children, shops, nature walks, mountain bikes for hire and more.
2. Explore the Bryggen, with its old wharf and wooden buildings – a UNESCO World Heritage site and full of history.
3. Take a wander around the buildings and grounds of Bergenhus Fortress, located at the entrance to the harbour.
4. Sample fresh fish and seafood at the dockside markets, and enjoy people-watching (and yacht-watching) as you devour your dinner. Also take a walk and get some amazing views across the harbour.
5. Visit the Rosenkrantz Tower for more history and great vantage points.
6. Take a stroll around Nøstet and some of the other areas a short walk away from the city centre and the harbour. Stop for a coffee in a charming café as you wander among the beautiful, old Norwegian style houses.
7. If it’s summer and you’re feeling brave, seek out one of the swimming spots along the shoreline where you can swim in the fjord!